• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books damaged on way to CGC--how to proceed?
2 2

28 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, noelbeast said:

Happy to post this update: 

The CGC sales rep that first broke the news to me about the damage and I exchanged a few more emails a few days after my initial post on this.  In a few days I learned more details about the circumstances, etc. about my submission.  Unfortunately, CGC could not provide me with any evidence of the damage, but the individual who initially processed the comics felt fairly confident that the damage was slight and both comics would retain their grades.  The books were then fast-tracked, and the CGC rep also told me that if the damage to the books would drop the grades any, CGC would possibly compensate me for the loss.

Sounds to me like the impact damage happenned under CGC's watch and not during shipping.

In my past experience with damaged slabbed books, USPS would only do a partial restitution of what I insured the books for as they said the books were not a total loss and still had value. So even though they were damaged under their possession, don’t expect a full payment for what you insured them for. What they are willing to pony up for damages is at their discretion. 

On 5/22/2020 at 5:55 PM, noelbeast said:

Happy to post this update: 

The CGC sales rep that first broke the news to me about the damage and I exchanged a few more emails a few days after my initial post on this.  In a few days I learned more details about the circumstances, etc. about my submission.  Unfortunately, CGC could not provide me with any evidence of the damage, but the individual who initially processed the comics felt fairly confident that the damage was slight and both comics would retain their grades.  The books were then fast-tracked, and the CGC rep also told me that if the damage to the books would drop the grades any, CGC would possibly compensate me for the loss.

Last Friday, the rep again reached out to me to let me know that the pressings were done (FAST!) and that the grader confirmed both would maintain a 9.8 grade.  Just got the books in the mail yesterday, and they look fantastic.

This whole ordeal was a bit too stressful for my taste, but obviously I'm happy with the end result.  Thank you for those of you who replied and offered advice.  And for anyone who might stumble upon this topic because of any mailing fears, I hope you take the time to document all you do when sending off high value items.  Pictures, filming...cover yourself, because something like USPS insurance sounds great in theory, but you better have your proof solid at the least!

I'm very happy to hear this news...  :luhv:

On 5/23/2020 at 8:58 AM, William-James88 said:

Sounds to me like the impact damage happenned under CGC's watch and not during shipping.

Last year I had a USPS shipment of raw comics to CGC get damaged in transit.

CGC refused it without opening it, and I got it back in the mail. (comics were fine)

So... yeah... based on my experience, it sounds like CGC was at least partially responsible for the damage.

On 5/23/2020 at 8:58 AM, William-James88 said:

Please bear in mind that CGC would very likely have done the same thing regardless of how the damage occurred. Happy customers are usually repeat customers...

3 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Last year I had a USPS shipment of raw comics to CGC get damaged in transit.

CGC refused it without opening it, and I got it back in the mail. (comics were fine)

So... yeah... based on my experience, it sounds like CGC was at least partially responsible for the damage.

I'm sorry to hear about this, but I would guess that in this case CGC didn't accept the package because they decided the USPS was at fault. I'm glad to hear your books were fine...

2 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I'm sorry to hear about this, but I would guess that in this case CGC didn't accept the package because they decided the USPS was at fault. I'm glad to hear your books were fine...

I wasn't trying to say anything bad about CGC there. They are great, particularly their customer service.