• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Consensus on First Sandman ?
2 2

32 posts in this topic

This is the seventh Sandman. But he only sticks his head out the window at the top of the cover. Now who has the 8th?

iznjzi (1).jpg

Edited by Larryw7

8 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I’m thinking first to newsstands trumps first time story is conceived / written 

What if the Superman story for Action Comics #2 came out in Detective Comics #15, a month before Action Comics #1?

Obviously, that would be the first newsstand appearance.

But because the story in Action #1 was created first, plus the classic cover, which book would you rather have?

FD481E95-7BD3-476D-B13F-0FE0E6425890.jpeg

Edited by Wayne-Tec

16 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

What if the Superman story for Action Comics #2 came out in Detective Comics #15, a month before Action Comics #1?

But because the story in Action #1 was created first, plus the classic cover, which book would you rather have?

I’m a first appearance guy ( minus ads ).  Not sure how I feel about cameos 

27 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Your scenario is similar to Sensation 1/All-Star 8 - and folks have voted All-Star 8 as the winner. I personally would rather have a Sensation 1, but I get the reasoning. I also would rather have an Adventure 40, though the World's Fair is loaded with cool stuff.

53 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Your scenario is similar to Sensation 1/All-Star 8 - and folks have voted All-Star 8 as the winner. I personally would rather have a Sensation 1, but I get the reasoning. I also would rather have an Adventure 40, though the World's Fair is loaded with cool stuff.

But All-Star #8 has the 1st Wonder Woman story, specifically, her origin, which remains strong today.

I'm not focusing just on cover appearances.

If Sensation #1 had the same cover but with the content/origin story of All-Star #8...and All-Star #8 had the same non-WW cover, with an interior that matched Sensation #1, but hit newsstands first...it would be interesting.

How was it determined that the story in Adventure #40 was produced before the NYWF '39 story? I've read both stories in the DC Archive edition, neither of them is an origin story, and they both suggest that the Sandman had already been fighting crime for awhile.

Is there any evidence that shows which one was actually drawn first? Did anyone who worked on either story say anything about it?

This kind of thing fascinates me.