• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Justice League of America 166-168

83 posts in this topic

seems like those books have cooled off, no? (as i write this I'll probably stumble up multiples of each that were stuck in the back of my closet!)

Seems like it... tho' I noticed the slightly beat copies at my LCS disappeared. Should have snagged them myself since I'm more interested in the story.

seems like those books have cooled off, no? (as i write this I'll probably stumble up multiples of each that were stuck in the back of my closet!)

My 168 copy I found last week for $1 as a LCS on ebay currently at $12.50 in VG shape. It is a very good story I liked it much more then I thought after reading it.

that guy is paying more for the 8.5 than I paid for my 9.0 from Jeffreykli -- and I think his scan was bigger and clearer...

seems about the same amount of heat on this book, just not the crazy prices for a raw 9.6 --

I'm not sure if slabbed is going to carry that much extra desirability as I think most people want the book to read it... it's a great story.

Of course, how long before DC puts out some trade with, these are the stories that backed Identity and Infinite Crisis!

I'm not sure if slabbed is going to carry that much extra desirability as I think most people want the book to read it... it's a great story.

That's exactly what I was thinking, and the majority of *heat* on the books seems to be coming from the actual readers and collectors, not the speculators.

I agree. Just like the drive on Miracleman is really for raw, not slabbed. I mean, there's nothing particularly great about the cover, and the historic importance of the storyline is tenuous. So -- I think it's great to find a really nice copy, but, like a lot of the raw books that get driven up, it's more than just the hardcore collectors, but rather the readers really looking for any nice copy they can find.

The only reason I sent mine off is because I had these issues 3 deep and had read them. Otherwise, no sale because JL is one of my favorite runs to own. I figured I could flip 'em for a tidy sum. We'll see. confused-smiley-013.gif

Of course, how long before DC puts out some trade with, these are the stories that backed Identity and Infinite Crisis!

Would be nice if Marvel and DC would be a little more on the ball with getting their back issue stories out in a timely manner. They have a big event, but they don't provide any of the historical context.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I'm surprised they didn't try it when Identity Crisis hit so big. There's a couple of stories they could have compiled into one trade at the end of IC, but never did -- DC has been pretty decent about getting the reprints out -- Marvel hasn't been that bad lately either... but both seem more focussed in getting the modern stuff reprinted.

Agreed that both are better than they were a few years ago (especially Marvel, who was actively dissing the back stories), but they are just leaving money on the table. If they could get a new generation hooked on the back issues, then they could have a fairly steady revenue stream (it would seem) into the future.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I'm surprised they didn't try it when Identity Crisis hit so big. There's a couple of stories they could have compiled into one trade at the end of IC, but never did -- DC has been pretty decent about getting the reprints out -- Marvel hasn't been that bad lately either... but both seem more focussed in getting the modern stuff reprinted.

I think that's it-- they're afraid the earlier stuff wouldn't play well with Modern comics readers. Some of the Roy Thomas / Gerry Conway 1970s dialogue might indeed sound dated now, but I think the demand for these back issues has shown that Modern readers can get past that.

Not sure if this was what you were getting at, but I think a good package could have been the JLA 166-168, plus the couple of stories from back in 1969-1970 where Jean Loring first goes bonkers (JLA 80 & 81 + one of those Atom-Hawkman issues). Come to think of it, those latter books might also present a marketing opportunity for someone out there to list on eBay... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Marvel hasn't been that bad lately either... but both seem more focussed in getting the modern stuff reprinted.

Come on, this is an easy one to figure out. Just ask yourself one question, who gets the residuals?

Like much of the biz right now, this is an attempt to attract, and keep, current writers and artists. By putting out more modern TPBs, that means the talent gets an extra paycheck and ensures a stream of these "hot creator" mini-runs we've seen so much of lately. Don't think that potential TPB residuals are not part of the allure for these guys to hack out another (cough) mini-epic.

Releasing TPB after TPB is probably part of Bendis' contract, and since reprint editions are a finite resource, that leaves the old school material on the back burner.

(JLA 80 & 81 + one of those Atom-Hawkman issues). Come to think of it, those latter books might also present a marketing opportunity for someone out there to list on eBay... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

grin.gifYou think? devil.gif

ok, i take that back after seeing the $32 VG copy being sold by rha27. of course, with his grading it's probably more like a VG+ smile.gif

Its a bidding war betwen two people currently. The only problem is the guy with 1 feedback is winning. frown.gif I still say the book is VG got too many little problems to get graded higher. I need to get a new scanner as my dutiful Cannon of 6 years finally blew up last month.

It is a very good story overall. I bought it just to read in my local shop for like $1or $2 I think. After I read it I thought what the heck there are no low grades listed so I put it up at $3 and thought what the heck. I am currently selling off all the IF mini series so it fits right into the mix. My fav is still Villains United though. I just cant seem to keep much new stuff anymore. It just doesnt compare to the last 70s and early 80s of my teenage comics. I sell off storyarcs as I read them and do pretty well most of the time getting 50% to 100% return(Depending on title and hottness.)

BTW want a cheap investment?? Try Detective Comics for a certain 1st app. of a person in OMAC Project. gossip.gif