• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Justice League of America 166-168

83 posts in this topic

I finally looked back at my copies of 166-168. I ended up with three copies of each somehow. Two nice and one lousy set. But, I skimmed the story and whew! somebody light a match!! And, correct me if Im wrong, but the story ends real quick and theres NO MENTION of Zatanna doing more than just switching their minds back. Or did I miss it wiping my eyes?

I finally looked back at my copies of 166-168. I ended up with three copies of each somehow. Two nice and one lousy set. But, I skimmed the story and whew! somebody light a match!! And, correct me if Im wrong, but the story ends real quick and theres NO MENTION of Zatanna doing more than just switching their minds back. Or did I miss it wiping my eyes?

My recollection is the same, although it's been awhile since I last read the story.

Hey fellas,

JLA is not really my bag, but out of interest I checked out the three local comic shops in my hometown to see if #166, 167 and 168 were there. Interesting results.

In two of the shop, there were long runs of JLA from the mid 70s to the early 80s, with every issue EXCEPT 166-168. So evidently, the word has gotten to St. John's, Newfoundland too.

At the third store, I found high grade copies of 167 an 168, which I picked up for pocket change. Haven't taken a really close look at the (I ran out of there like a bandit) but at first glance, solid VF/NM.

So... the bad news is that everybody and his dog are on these books. The good news... you can still find them out there relatively cheap.

Shep

Hey fellas,

JLA is not really my bag, but out of interest I checked out the three local comic shops in my hometown to see if #166, 167 and 168 were there. Interesting results.

In two of the shop, there were long runs of JLA from the mid 70s to the early 80s, with every issue EXCEPT 166-168. So evidently, the word has gotten to St. John's, Newfoundland too.

At the third store, I found high grade copies of 167 an 168, which I picked up for pocket change. Haven't taken a really close look at the (I ran out of there like a bandit) but at first glance, solid VF/NM.

So... the bad news is that everybody and his dog are on these books. The good news... you can still find them out there relatively cheap.

Shep

Yeah its really beyond the point of making any $$ on them if you are speculating. I say that but there are only two up for sale right now. My copy for sale is an oddball as two bidders are killing each other for it. A VG copy at $42 is anomaly, but one I dont mind as a seller. smile.gif

What I like best about this is its a good story that DC has taken its time developing in a Slow Burn style reminscent of the Dark Phoenix Saga years ago. I am not denying they are spinning it alot to sell other new books, but the core story is done very well and is generating a ton of back issue market gobbling. See anyone talking about House of M like this?? I think not. This coming from a Marvel fan since the late 70s. DC owns this year....

DC has really done a great job on the "event" series over the last couple of years. Being a JLA collector, and as an impresisionable youth during the 166-168 run, I've enjoyed it. Marvel seems to keep running to the "alternate" universe style story (aka early 80's X-Men DOFP - an awesome story.) and beating that dead horse. While it may be fun, it's an easy cop-out at the end usually. (Well, what do you know? Everythings back in order. 27_laughing.gif ) House Of M, while decent, reminds me too much of this.

According to Newsarama:

JLA: THE GREATEST STORIES EVER TOLD TP

Writers: Gardner Fox, Dennis O ' Neil, Gerry Conway, Martin Pasko, Keith Giffen, J.M. DeMatteis, Grant Morrison, Mark Millar and Joe Kelly

Artists: Mike Sekowsky, Bernard Sachs, Dillin, Joe Giella, Kevin Maguire, Terry Austin, Alex Ross, Howard Porter, John Dell, Doug Mahnke, Tom Nguyen and George Pérez

Collects JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #19, 77, 122 and 166-168, JUSTICE LEAGUE #1, JLA SECRET FILES #1 and JLA #61

192 pages, $19.99 US

Interesting mix of stories.

Hey fellas,

Shep

Yeah and I would look too. I waited to post this link until my auction ended so I wouldnt be accused of advertising. You have to love a bidding war. thumbsup2.gif I though for sure I would have to issue a NPB alert, but nope buyer paid next day so I gave him free shipping and threw in the 80 Page prelude. It was the least I could do. yay.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...O%3AIT&rd=1

I sold my copies of 166, 167 and 168 for 280 bucks on ebay and private auctions a month ago. It was on the board several months ago that I realized the significance of these comics after you all talked about them so I bought them nm+ for 10 bucks each.

OK, I know someone here can answer this one:

I got a nice, cheap, low-grade reader copy of 168 a little while ago. The very last page (after the story and letters page) is missing. What's on that page? Subscription form?

I hope these guys paying nosebleed prices are NOT looking at the books as an investment. flamed.gif

I hope not either but the 1st appearances and key books from Infinite Crisis are on fire. Just tonight selling a DC presents 87 in VG shape for $20 and the auction hasnt even ended yet. Early Power girls app in any shape sell well as well as 1st appearances of Black Alice and Sasha. I cleaned out my LCS last month or two at below cover and $1-2 a book on back issues and just cant beleive the prices people paying on bay for just VG/F copies alone. I think everyone is looking to read the back stories.

This is the best back issue market for DCs I have seen in years decades even. Best thing about is Inifinite Crisis is both well written and you couldnt ask for better the Perez and Lee on covers with Jiminez inside.

I got a nice, cheap, low-grade reader copy of 168 a little while ago. The very last page (after the story and letters page) is missing. What's on that page? Subscription form?

Thanks for all the help, guys! makepoint.gifjuggle.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Thanks for all the help, guys! makepoint.gifjuggle.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

gossip.gif It's a "Daily Planet" page (DC's answer to the Bullpen Bulletins). And on the reverse, a full-page ad for Sea Monkeys-- so that's no doubt why the page is missing from your copy! yay.gif