• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi Guys! I bought another Vampi #1 - Any Thoughts? - NEW SCANS!!!

67 posts in this topic

Sorry for my lack of posting over here, but I have been reading quite a bit and enjoy this side of the forum . . .

Well, I bought another Vampi #1:

Vampirella1-Front.jpg

Vampirella1-Back.jpg

I don't have it yet, and I am a bit concerned about the mis-cut bootom edge of both the front and back covers. What do you guys know about this phenomena as to mags in general, or Vampi #1 specifically? Is this type of mis-cut common?

Sorry about the cropped scans, but that's all I have for now . . .

Yeowch, Divad that is funky looking!

I must say at first glance it looks as if the right and bottom edges of the cover were trimmed if not a comlpetely different cover was attached. I hope this is not the case (maybe I've just been reading too much of the FF #3 thread over in general) and you are able to ask the seller more info about the book before final purchase.

For reference here is my personal copy...

911072-Vampirella%231Cover.jpg

911072-Vampirella%231Back.jpg

589a8f1dd2028_911072-Vampirella1Back.jpg.8fec6bd743e0336bd1b82cdd7d6bdde4.jpg

I am a bit concerned about the mis-cut bootom edge of both the front and back covers. What do you guys know about this phenomena as to mags in general, or Vampi #1 specifically? Is this type of mis-cut common?

Taking a looks at the staple areas, it looks to me like the cover may be a bit loose and has shifted up, allowing some of the interior to show at the bottom. I've had books like that before...

I am a bit concerned about the mis-cut bootom edge of both the front and back covers. What do you guys know about this phenomena as to mags in general, or Vampi #1 specifically? Is this type of mis-cut common?

Taking a looks at the staple areas, it looks to me like the cover may be a bit loose and has shifted up, allowing some of the interior to show at the bottom. I've had books like that before...

That was my original conclusion, but then I don't have it in hand yet. There doesn't appear to be overhang at the top, but then again it may just be cropped off in the scan. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe, but the cover would have shifted quite a bit to cause the edge to be so off. It looks trimmed to me, hope I am wrong. frown.gif Are you going to sub it right away?

Maybe, but the cover would have shifted quite a bit to cause the edge to be so off. It looks trimmed to me, hope I am wrong. frown.gif Are you going to sub it right away?

Yes. I truly believe it's a production mis-cut as this guy doesn't appear to have the knowledge, skills or motivation to trim it that sharp. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifhi.gif

Yes. I truly believe it's a production mis-cut as this guy doesn't appear to have the knowledge, skills or motivation to trim it that sharp. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifhi.gif

I see what 143ksk has pointed out about the staples, if this is the case there must be an overhang at the top and the cover is loose.

If it is a production mis-cut, it is the worst one I've seen on a mag. And now that I had more time to think on it, to trim a mag like that and make it so obviously glaring would be a foolish move IMO.

My money is on the shifting cover theory... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Please post a scan when in hand, good luck! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I see what 143ksk has pointed out about the staples, if this is the case there must be an overhang at the top and the cover is loose.

If it is a production mis-cut, it is the worst one I've seen on a mag. And now that I had more time to think on it, to trim a mag like that and make it so obviously glaring would be a foolish move IMO.

My money is on the shifting cover theory... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Please post a scan when in hand, good luck! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I spoke with DiceX about this - we both felt there wasn't enough play in the staples to warrant the cover shift - trust me - when I scan it, if there is a shift, it'll be shifted back grin.gif

Except that the leading edge of the cover is too short as well. Staple shift wouldn't account for that.

My vote goes to married and/or trimmed cover.

Except that the leading edge of the cover is too short as well. Staple shift wouldn't account for that.

Good point, but I have more faith in people than that - most people, especially non-comic people, don't know enought to accomplish these things well, and it is obviously well done, if done at all . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Now, if this were an FF #3 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

Good point, but I have more faith in people than that - most people, especially non-comic people, don't know enought to accomplish these things well, and it is obviously well done, if done at all . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Now, if this were an FF #3 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

How do you know someone didn't sell it to him that way?

How do you know someone didn't sell it to him that way?

Because he's the original owner and had a run of 30 or 40 for sale at the same time. He checks out - he sells mostly CD's of really off--the-wall music and miscellaneous rad stuff cool.gif

And, like me, he left feedback as soon as payment was received (I know this is meaningless, but little things like that are encouraging to me).

We'll see how well it's packed . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How about that spine? Sweet! Grades anyone?

Apparent 9.0 Plod confused-smiley-013.gifpoke2.gif

Hey that's cool - that's why I posted it here, for your expert opinions thumbsup2.gifhi.gif

hi.gifflowerred.gif

In all seriousness it is impossible to grade without seeing the full scan (top edge) and having more info re. the cover. I await your findings once in hand.

And if this book was trimmed, it is the *worst* trim job ever done IMHO.

How about that spine? Sweet! Grades anyone?

The spine is sweet. The book looks fantastic.

But I grade it Apparant 9.6 (Amateur). crazy.gif

I wish you much luck with it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I think Steve is correct regarding the staples being a hair loose. It's not that uncommon a problem, especially for books that have been bagged for a long time and stored upright. I don't think the book is trimmed - it's just the scan that makes it appear that way.

It's a nice book but probably no better than an 8.0.

I think Steve is correct regarding the staples being a hair loose. It's not that uncommon a problem, especially for books that have been bagged for a long time and stored upright. I don't think the book is trimmed - it's just the scan that makes it appear that way.

It's a nice book but probably no better than an 8.0.

Because of the staple shift? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Or something else? grin.gif