• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2003 Overstreet, what's going up the most?

70 posts in this topic

I have a feeling that there is not going to much changing in back issue prices as far as VF and lower go, but I was wondering which books are going to go up quite a bit from last year, particularly in the NM category. Maybe even in VF's? Maybe we can have some fun before overstreet hits. My prediction for the greatest gains are Incredible Hulk 181 and Green Lantern (Silver Age) 76, but that's just me.

I know a few of you have a pretty good handle on what's going on the market. Anybody care to make a few predictions?

Bug, a serious answer would be great. But, if you feel the need, that's ok too. grin.gif

Darth, I'm sure you might have a few Modern Age that may be climbing? Whadda' ya' think?

Rick, any Marvel Team-Ups?

Bug, a serious answer would be great. But, if you feel the need, that's ok too.

I don't think I remember how to give a serious answer. frown.gif

Actually......I'm going to agree with you on the Hulk 181. I have a feeling it's going to make another jump in price to try to catch up with the market for it.

I'm fairly confident that almost EVERY Gold and Silver NM price will double or triple in this year's guide because PRICE GUIDE CORRECTION year has come!

As for what's going up the most...guess it depends on what you mean by most. The largest dollar jump will be Action #1, and the largest jump percentage-wise is tough to call...maybe Amazing Fantasy 15.

NinaNina, my bets:

Neal Adams Batman books (I cant' get these for guide anywhere0

Early SA Batman books (when the 103 sold for 1200+ BP at Heritage, I knew that these books deserved a second look. NM is $450 but Fred Karger actually sold one for $640 not too long ago in 8.5 - Mowhawk Valley copy)

Hulk 102/180-181-182 (Hulk 102 is starting to get some real heat and the Wolverine and the X-Men books are out of this world)

GS X #1

GL 76 is a safe bet

I think some of the DDs will rise too - not because they are still hot, but because they are just so cheap in the OS now. Notably:

131 currently guides for $25 with 132 for $8 (1st and 2nd Bullseye)

158 and 168 are at $50 and $55 respectively

I do think that 181 at $15 in NM is fair.

My thoughts . . .

That last statement is truly bizarre, at least assuming OS is to REFLECT price increases and not CAUSE them.

We are heading for some dark times ahead.....

Doom and gloom! Proactive local shop owners have always done this...only a tiny percentage of them have the time, desire, or memory to keep up with market prices on their own. Especially now that they've almost all got to sell yu-gi-oh, pokemon, and every other ancillary product under the sun to stay afloat...no time left to keep track of what goes for what in comics.

That last statement is truly bizarre, at least assuming OS is to REFLECT price increases and not CAUSE them.

This statement is laughable. Every comic store in America is eagerly awaiting their new Overstreet to reprice their books. If you don't believe this, you are living in a fantasy world.

That's exactly what I said. Following the latest OS and Wizard prices religiously is a quick path to Hades.

It's amazing that people refuse to see what's right there in front of them. The almighty investment dollar ruling the comic back issue market, Marvel pumping out new titles at an insane pace, cover prices spiking, CGC racking grading fees to the hilt, and Heritage working their own brand of "price magic".

I have tried to say away from the "Doom and Glom" posts, but this is getting way out of hand, and although I don't look forward to what will come, the end result should be obvious to anyone who was collecting comics steady from the 1970's on.

>>This statement is laughable. Every comic store in America is eagerly awaiting their new Overstreet to reprice their books. If you don't believe this, you are living in a fantasy world.

Jeez Dan, I never said it wasn't TRUE, only that the statement is ludicrous to the extreme. If everyone in the indistry simply repriced all their books based on OS (like they did in the early-90's) then we're headed for another big cliff.

There's an interesting "dealer report" in an early-90's OS (pre-crash) that might be illuminating to many forum members. I don't know if it was Keith C or some other dealer, but the guy knows the market upside down, and predicted exactly what would happen (BOOM!) if everyone used OS as a bible and ignored the market.

Responsive local shop owners have always done this...only a tiny percentage of them have the time, desire, or memory to keep up with market prices on their own.

Yeah, mine does this also. I use to tell him, why change it, if there was no interest in it at X price, who would want it at 2X? I once had a dealer at a convention watch me pull out a few books. He noticed the prices, obviously hadn't been updated, & without saying a word started pulling the books from the back of the box as I was pulling from the front. You really had to be there...funny stuff.

Anyway...I agree that most NM Silver, possibly even early bronze will be bumped pretty well. Which I think is going to create more problems as your average convention or home town dealer, now tries to get insane prices for their overgrade F+ to VF books. That over graded stuff in their 50% off boxes will now be stacked in 90% off boxes. Hell, I've seen dealers that are still using the 100% / 50% / 25% breakdown for NM / F / G.

I remember Wondercon about 10 yrs ago, the new Ostreet had just come out a few days earlier on the East coast & these cool.gif dealers were frantically raising their sticker prices during dealer set up. Timelys had just spiked in price at the time. Mark Wilson was walking around grabbing all the Timely Caps from West coast dealers who did not get their Ostreet in yet.

Every comic store in America is eagerly awaiting their new Overstreet to reprice their books

Maybe this is why I don't have a store anymore. We never did this, as I've said elsewhere, I never believed in doing this, I always agreed with the "if you can't sell it for $8.00, why do you think you can sell it for $12.00" theory.

(see Joe, maybe you do have a reason to like me after all).

As for price increases, I'll go out on a limb and say:

This is not the year of the massive price corrections, things will not be doubling and tripling.

Hulk 181 and Green Lantern 76 will not see the biggest price jumps.

Fantasy 15 won't have an incredible jump.

Things will rise at the moderate pace they have for the past couple of years.

If there is any incredible jumping to be done, it will be in the new High-grade newsletter Overstreet is producing (what better way to insure huge sales of your new product then by having large jumps and making sure everyone wants to buy it - people are pretty much committed to buying the annual regardless).

> Things will rise at the moderate pace they have for the past couple of years.

I'd guess a modest 25% increase in NM values. Clearly, certified books have been

selling for much more, but the market is still not mature enough for O'street to

reflect these integer multiples. If, Heaven forbid, CGC was to go out of business

tomorrow we'd instantly get a crash that would make all the Chicken Littles on

these boards proud. The good people at Overstreet have been around for a long

time and are likely to base their prices on short term worst case scenarios/ a

sustained growth policy. If this is so, I'd strongly agree with them: a gradual

increase is in the best interest of the hobby long term.