• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submission return mail risk ?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Rick Hoffman said:

Using on-line submission; I can insure the books on the way in, but it appears that $100 is the insured max value per book coming back to me !  Does that sound right ?

You should be able to select the shipping method for return (UPS, FEDex or USPS). I believe that UPS or FEDex will only insure up to $100 and you can't purchase additional insurance.

You will notice that USPS will be more expensive because the shipment will be insured up to the declared value on your packing slip.

CGC Shipping Rates.jpg

Thanks Pickle ... doesn't show this detail when choosing A B or C ... go figure, USPS !!

I did a search for lost books and a common theme is to buy private insurance; since the book is not yet graded, how does one get this accomplished ?

Rick

3 minutes ago, Rick Hoffman said:

Thanks Pickle ... doesn't show this detail when choosing A B or C ... go figure, USPS !!

I did a search for lost books and a common theme is to buy private insurance; since the book is not yet graded, how does one get this accomplished ?

Rick

Rick

I can't speak to buying private insurance. The first time I sent books in to CGC I spent an extra $10 to buy additional USPS priority mail insurance for a bundle of war books I estimated to be worth $1200.

But then I thought about it... To file an insurance claim with USPS (or any insurance company in the world perhaps) you would need to prove the value of the raw books and document the extent of the damage and who was responsible for the damage. Even if you submitted pictures of your raw ungraded books with your insurance claim you, I or even a professional comic grader probably wouldn't be able to prove the condition, grade or value to an insurance company let alone who was responsible for an additional tear, crease, water stain, etc.

In my opinion, USPS or a private insurance company will happily sell you the insurance for raw books but if it ever came to filing a claim I think we would lose.

I currently have a insurance claim pending with USPS for a damaged slab that I received and I am expecting that to be a fist fight even though I can prove the grade of the book, value from a trusted comic fair market value website and plenty of pictures and videos of me opening the damaged box.

I would be happy to listen to others who have successfully won an insurance claim on raw books damaged in the mail...

Thanks again Pickle, I'm thinking outright loss/theft (the greatest risk) might be less of a challenge as you wouldn't have to prove responsibility for damages and a calculated value loss??

Catch 22; unless I want to wait for, make an apt, and attend a local show (all summer 2020 shows being cancelled), ! have to ship and take the risk!

Rick