• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What comic started the bronze age?

47 posts in this topic

The first and only time I've heard the Weird War theory seriously put forward was in an article in Comic Book Marketplace years ago. The writer must have had a pallet of #1s stored away? confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't know why Weird War Tales would be part of the discussion. A good horror run, but probably not as good or innovative as what Adams and Wrightson were doing on the two "House of" titles. Moreover, it wasn't even a run collectors cared about until about 10 years ago. I don't think something can "start" an age if it was sitting in bargain bins for decades .. collectors/fans didn't think it was terribly important for a long while. I never fished #1 out of a bargain bin, but I do remember picking up most of 2 - 20 for about 25 cents each in Fine/VF from Mike Carbonaro (along with a bunch of other stuff) about 10 or so year ago. How influential could they have been? Heck, if you want to pick some other DC titles, House of Secrets 92 and/or All Star Western 10 would be better, but really too late to be called the start of the BA because plenty of good BA had already happened by then.

as for your price on WWT #1... the guide has some huge number attached to that book and I was shocked because I'm pretty sure it was like $15-20 or so in NM 10 years ago. yes, 10 years ago is a long time, but I don't think much other horror has gone up over 1000% since then. that $340 NM- number must be driven by high grade slabs of this 52 pager.

according to OPG, $39.99 is well below guide on that book, so you couldn't have gotten ripped too badly. i can't fathom that anyone if paying VF guide of $165 for that book, slabbed or not. or anyone paying guide for a Fine+. (needless to say, i don't think I own this book). perhaps in slabbed 9.2 and up the guide is correct. someone with GPA can answer that, I wouldn't find it shocking if a 9.4 got $300-$400, but a raw 9.2 at $340? no way.

as for your price on WWT #1... the guide has some huge number attached to that book and I was shocked because I'm pretty sure it was like $15-20 or so in NM 10 years ago. yes, 10 years ago is a long time, but I don't think much other horror has gone up over 1000% since then. that $340 NM- number must be driven by high grade slabs of this 52 pager.

according to OPG, $39.99 is well below guide on that book, so you couldn't have gotten ripped too badly. i can't fathom that anyone if paying VF guide of $165 for that book, slabbed or not. or anyone paying guide for a Fine+. (needless to say, i don't think I own this book). perhaps in slabbed 9.2 and up the guide is correct. someone with GPA can answer that, I wouldn't find it shocking if a 9.4 got $300-$400, but a raw 9.2 at $340? no way.

Check this out http://cgi.ebay.com/WEIRD-WAR-TALES-1-19...1QQcmdZViewItem

I, bought one on ebay did I get ripped off?WEIRD WAR TALES #1 DC JOE KUBERT 1971 FINE PLUS I paid $39.99

I, think I [embarrassing lack of self control] myself on this one tonofbricks.gifsorry.gif

If the book is legit 6.5, you didn't do bad at all. If it's a nice looking 6.5, I would say you actually did really well. thumbsup2.gif Post a scan when you get it.

I think using the monicker "Silver Age Classics" was nothing more than a marketing tool on DC's part. Do you think using the title "Bronze Age Classics" carries the same power as referring to a book as coming from the silver age? 76 came out in April of 1970, which is the year that is generally accepted as the start of the Bronze Age. The GL 76 has always had relevance due to the creative team and issues they addressed. Comics changed with this issue. They became more realistic and thought provoking. If you want to use a single book to describe when a new age began, this is a perfect example. It changed the course of what had come before, hence a new age.