• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sandman 8 Variant signed worth slabbing?

40 posts in this topic

Hello!

I have a Sandman #8 editorial variant that is signed by Neil Gaiman from one of the original signings and was wondering if this is worth slabbing for a green label.  I've heard that it is usually not a good idea to slab for a green label but I thought this may be an exception since CGC wasn't around during the time of this signing event.

Thanks!

Herman

On 5/30/2020 at 1:09 PM, hermanenwang said:

Hello!

I have a Sandman #8 editorial variant that is signed by Neil Gaiman from one of the original signings and was wondering if this is worth slabbing for a green label.  I've heard that it is usually not a good idea to slab for a green label but I thought this may be an exception since CGC wasn't around during the time of this signing event.

Thanks!

Herman

An exception to it being a good idea? or an exception to the CGC rule for green labels?

It wont matter if the book was signed before CGC or after, Green label is Green label. Sounds like you want to grade it for resale value in which case you should check sold listing, price guides etc etc to see if its worth it TO YOU.
You might be abel to get a Yellow/Green label for that book, but that is a question better suited to CGC.

An exception to it being a good idea.  I don't expect CGC to make an exception to the green label rules.

I can't find any sales on green labels for this.  I can only find a few sales for blue labels.  Not surprising since there is only 78 total CGC slabbed of this comic with 9 being a green label.

30 minutes ago, hermanenwang said:

An exception to it being a good idea.  I don't expect CGC to make an exception to the green label rules.

I can't find any sales on green labels for this.  I can only find a few sales for blue labels.  Not surprising since there is only 78 total CGC slabbed of this comic with 9 being a green label.

I think you have your answer then. Like I said, might be worth exploring the yellow/green option. Otherwise no real point in grading that I can see.

2 hours ago, Avi said:

An exception to it being a good idea? or an exception to the CGC rule for green labels?

It wont matter if the book was signed before CGC or after, Green label is Green label. Sounds like you want to grade it for resale value in which case you should check sold listing, price guides etc etc to see if its worth it TO YOU.
You might be abel to get a Yellow/Green label for that book, but that is a question better suited to CGC.

Lol ya because there are A TON of yellow labels for this book!  

36 minutes ago, hermanenwang said:

Your comic is very much in demand, and slabbing it now will only detract the value if it comes back a very poor grade (like a 7.5 or something).  There are several people who will be interested in this book, send it off to CGC and offer it for sale on the boards.  I'd be interested.

Great book!  

2 minutes ago, spreads said:

Lol ya because there are A TON of yellow labels for this book!  

My point is that its probably just as desirable without getting it graded.

2 minutes ago, Avi said:

My point is that its probably just as desirable without getting it graded.

No, the grading is certainly relevant and will increase value over the raw equivalent if it hits a certain threshold.  There really is no benefit for the seller to sell this book raw unless it has some major deficiency that CGC would penalize it for. 

12 minutes ago, spreads said:

Your comic is very much in demand, and slabbing it now will only detract the value if it comes back a very poor grade (like a 7.5 or something).  There are several people who will be interested in this book, send it off to CGC and offer it for sale on the boards.  I'd be interested.

Great book!  

Thanks!  Sorry, so I should send it in to CGC to slab it even if it's going to be a green label?  The condition on this comic is pretty good.  Sharp corners, been in mylar since I got it.  Never taken out since or read by me at least.  Was graded NM when I bought it.

4 minutes ago, spreads said:

No, the grading is certainly relevant and will increase value over the raw equivalent if it hits a certain threshold.  There really is no benefit for the seller to sell this book raw unless it has some major deficiency that CGC would penalize it for. 

Really? Even with the green qualified label? I know the book is sort after, but not with an unverified signature.

@hermanenwang you could post picutres on the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" forum to get an idea of grade before sending it.

Just now, Mr. Burt Hutt said:

Yellow is not an option for this book as it is.

No body said Yellow SS was an option! I said the yellow/green SS qualified might be.

15 minutes ago, hermanenwang said:

Thanks!  Sorry, so I should send it in to CGC to slab it even if it's going to be a green label?  The condition on this comic is pretty good.  Sharp corners, been in mylar since I got it.  Never taken out since or read by me at least.  Was graded NM when I bought it.

Definitely slab it.

I will be a buyer of this book and many others on this forum, and if you don't have any buyers, people on Ebay will want it.   It's a pretty amazing piece, I'm jealous!

2 minutes ago, Mr. Burt Hutt said:

Only if they get it signed by someone else. If not this book can never get any Yellow whatsoever.

Ahh youre right! Forgot there has to be atleast one verified sig to qualify.

12 minutes ago, Avi said:

Really? Even with the green qualified label? I know the book is sort after, but not with an unverified signature.

@hermanenwang you could post picutres on the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" forum to get an idea of grade before sending it.

Are you not familiar with this comic?

The OP doesn't need to post pics in the PGM forum threads.  This is a very rare book, signed by Gaiman makes it that much more special.  The buyers (whom I would be one of) won't care that it's green label.

1 minute ago, hermanenwang said:

Thanks!

Personally I would keep the book (not knowing your personal financial circumstance), but demand for it now is maybe the best its ever been.  You'll get a good sale out of this.

10 minutes ago, spreads said:

Personally I would keep the book (not knowing your personal financial circumstance), but demand for it now is maybe the best its ever been.  You'll get a good sale out of this.

The demand is only going to escalate as the netflix show approaches. I'd get it slabbed now but wait a bit to sell it.

18 minutes ago, spreads said:

Cool thanks!

23 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

The demand is only going to escalate as the netflix show approaches. I'd get it slabbed now but wait a bit to sell it.

Well who knows, maybe? .....also, Sandman is being regarded as one of the best written series over the last 30 years has a very strong and loyal fan base.  So this book will retain value many years down the road, regardless of the show - unlike a lot of other books that spike almost entirely off tv/movie news.