• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First appearance cameo vs First full story
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Maybe it is just me but I think the first appearance of a major character in ANY form no matter how small is more important than first full story. I think Hulk 180 should be worth as much as Hulk181. Just imagine if somebody found like a New Fun comics never discovered with a cameo and first appearance of Superman on the last page? How much would that be worth?

First ever appearance of a major superhero is ultra super important and should not be downplayed.

I know you all are going to chew me out on this one so let me have it!!!! lol

51 minutes ago, valiantman said:

So, you're saying More Fun #31 should be more important than Action Comics #1? :whistle:

67447507_HouseAd-ActionComics1-MoreFunComics31-May1938-fullpage-b-edited.jpg.61c181519958e12304dbfbaa263b5b8c.jpg

I’ve never counted an ad as a cameo just an ad.  It wud b preferable if Supes and bats didn’t have ads previewing their first appearance imo. 

There’s debate as to whether Jimmy Olsen’s first comic appearance is as a cameo in either Action Comics #6 (November, 1938):

z0I9CRE.jpg

or Superman #13 (November, 1941):

fGrtANL.jpg

I think more people would point to the latter on the basis of Clark saying Jimmy’s name, though I wouldn’t rule out the possibility that the office-boy in the former was drawn with the intention of being Jimmy.

On 6/1/2020 at 2:33 PM, Bo_Hogg1 said:

Maybe it is just me but I think the first appearance of a major character in ANY form no matter how small is more important than first full story. I think Hulk 180 should be worth as much as Hulk181. Just imagine if somebody found like a New Fun comics never discovered with a cameo and first appearance of Superman on the last page? How much would that be worth?

First ever appearance of a major superhero is ultra super important and should not be downplayed.

I know you all are going to chew me out on this one so let me have it!!!! lol

1. There's no such thing as a cameo before a first appearance.

2. Brief teaser appearances are done either as a subplot or, more commonly, as a barely-disguised ad for the next issue (or possibly a crossover issue), with the character appearing on the final page.

3. Why is this in the GA forum? How many examples of brief/full appearances even exist in the GA, especially for characters with even the slightest relevance now?