• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Media Mail
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I have received 2 Media Mail boxes of comics that were inspected by the USPS. One was opened, everything was completely unwrapped then shoved back in the box (badly) and stamped 'Opened by the US Postal Servce'. The 2nd was opened and then sealed back up (apparently without unpacking it) and stamped. I was not charged postage due for the first one, but was for the second. Refused the second, returned the first.

This is 2 out of (estimating) about 20 purchases that I have made that have been sent media, the rest have all sailed through. Not sure that 10% Failure Rate is worth the risk.

I don't have a good solution to bulk shipping... well, most things cheaply. But media mail is a terrible idea for comics for at least two reasons.

First, most comics don't qualify. Media mail material cannot have more than incidental advertising, and definitely cannot have advertising for non-media-mail-eligible products. The vast majority of comic books have miscellaneous ad pages, which mean they're prohibited from going media mail. You can try, but if they detect the problem, they will charge your consignee postage due equal to the difference between what you paid and what you should have paid. This is usually a lot, and your consignee will be unhappy with you. And probably refuse delivery.

Second, postal inspectors may examine media mail at will, in order to ensure compliance. They can and will open packages and remove individual books from packaging. Yes, that means they may opt to pull comics out of bags, tear open polybagged comics, and so forth. If you suspect that this process is likely to damage comic books, you are correct. There is no clause in the media mail regulations for shipping collectibles or condition-sensitive material either; if they damage your books -- especially if they were non-compliant in the first place -- that's your problem, not theirs.

Yes, sometimes you can get lucky. That doesn't make it a good idea.

I receive comics via media mail ALL the time.. I send them out that way as well.. ALL the time... some I've got have been inspected and come w a paper notice stating it wasn't media.. but I've never been asked to pay the postage as a receiver... Whenever I ship comics via media mail I do it in a way where it actually looks like it qualifies for media mail... looks and feels like an actual book.. usually strong/sturdy cardboard in a manila catalog envelop works... give the shape/outline of a textbook in a way .... I've done this thousands of times and haven't received a package back ... it's a fail-proof system I've built.. and it's using the USPS's own packing materials..

14 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I know that sending comic books using Media Mail is not allowed, but I have received several packages of comic books that were sent that way.

Has anyone had any experience of having a box opened and returned to you?

out of about 2 dozen packages sent, 1 came back to me and required additional postage. They had written all over the package that 'comics weren't media mail' I have 2 Post office locations near me and it was the smaller one which inspected it.    That was the only package that went ever thru that particular branch

I will add that the books are always sandwiched between cardboard pieces in a bubble mailer envelope (on 1 or two occasion a box was used) and when/if they asked me what was inside, I said books.

Edited by csaag
add info