• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Previously... on LOST... It's Been Ten Years Since It Ended...
1 1

28 posts in this topic

On 7/9/2024 at 4:02 AM, s-man said:

There was this one, but it's now archived:

Epic thread.  Thank you @s-man for starting it all those years ago.  It provided hours of enjoyment as we all speculated together through each episode What It All Meant.  :cloud9:

And @Pitboss be sure to finish season 1 before opening the archived thread, and then be careful to not get ahead of the already-watched episodes in reading it.  It may be impossible at this late date to avoid spoilers, but doing so will greatly enhance the experience.  

Posted (edited)

And by the way... 

I may have to check it out... It appears that Disney put the whole series back on Netflix.

https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/lost-netflix-date-cast-details#:~:text=All six seasons of Lost,few months before Grey's Anatomy.

Edited by Buzzetta

On 7/9/2024 at 8:02 AM, Zonker said:

Epic thread.  Thank you @s-man for starting it all those years ago.  It provided hours of enjoyment as we all speculated together through each episode What It All Meant.  :cloud9:

And @Pitboss be sure to finish season 1 before opening the archived thread, and then be careful to not get ahead of the already-watched episodes in reading it.  It may be impossible at this late date to avoid spoilers, but doing so will greatly enhance the experience.  

Oh for sure (thumbsu On episode 8 and enjoying it immensely.

On 7/9/2024 at 4:42 PM, Pitboss said:

Oh for sure (thumbsu On episode 8 and enjoying it immensely.

I've watched and enjoyed it all the way through a few times now. 

Spoiler

Still wish they would've had a spin off with Hurley and Ben, would've been great!

Never made it all the way through.  

Once it became clear to me that the producers were making it up as they went along, as opposed to having had a coherent vision from the beginning, I started to lose interest.  That's a huge pet peeve of mine.

Like, they started so strong, with great characters and obviously an intriguing mysterious setting.  They had little mysteries about each of the characters that they knew the answers to and "revealed" as the show went along, and that was great, but they didn't actually have any answers for the larger questions and mysteries they were raising - presumably they assumed they would just figure it out later -  and then they proceeded to convolute themselves right up their own bumms. 

I guess I can't sit here and claim they didn't wrap it all up in a satisfactory way, since I didn't make it that far, but what I've read about it didn't sound particularly satisfying, so I never had the desire to revisit it.  

I have read on the internet (and therefore it's TRUTH) that the original plan for the show had to be truncated because someone (The Network? The Producers?  The Creators?) decided to cut down the number of seasons/episodes from the original plan.  I completely agree that the initial few seasons were pretty amazing television and really kept you guessing.  The later seasons also kept you guessing but not in a good way.  We speak of this show with some awe around here.

On 7/10/2024 at 11:03 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I have read on the internet (and therefore it's TRUTH) that the original plan for the show had to be truncated because someone (The Network? The Producers?  The Creators?) decided to cut down the number of seasons/episodes from the original plan.  I completely agree that the initial few seasons were pretty amazing television and really kept you guessing.  The later seasons also kept you guessing but not in a good way.  We speak of this show with some awe around here.

There has always been lots of debate about this, some of it is covered towards the end of the archived thread.  My personal understanding (based on what I remember reading from various sources at the time) was something like this:

1- The actual final scenes eventually filmed as the series finale (end of Season 6) was pretty much J. J. Abrams' original vision, having no idea if the show would even be a hit.

2- When the show became the phenomenon it was shortly after its pilot aired-- and J. J. moved on to other things-- the original ending wasn't sustainable any longer, and besides,

Spoiler

the internet guessed it. doh!

3- So the show-runners were indeed improvising through seasons 2 and especially 3, since they didn't know how long they had to keep stringing out the storyline.

4- Before the Season 3 finale, the show-runners successfully negotiated with the network for an eventual end-date.  So, for better or worse, the final  seasons told exactly the story the creators wanted to tell. 

5- And they did wind up re-purposing some of J. J.' s original ending, but with a twist that lined up with the so-called "Flash-Sideways" storytelling of Season 6.