• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about GoCollect and eBay
2 2

6 posts in this topic

So I noticed a recorded eBay sale on GoCollect today. It was from an auction and it said a FF3 5.5 went for 1475 on June 7

I clicked the link to see who sold it, and I see the exact same book (same CGC registration #) back up for auction.

https://www.ebay.com/p/85449383?iid=203005629724

I am guessing the buyer could not pay or backed out. I wouldn't want to speculate any further, but I am wondering. GoCollect records this as a sale, but of course the sale appears to have never occurred.

I'm not accusing anyone of shenanigans as that doesn't appear to be the case, but it seems like a vulnerability in calculating FMV. Does anyone know if GoCollect has a way to determine this sale never occurred and strike it from the database, or is this now a historical "sale" of the book?

When I go to the link, I see at the top the $1475 book, sold by the.boss on 6/7.  In the main photo, I see one now offered for sale by krustycook.  It's not the same seller, not even the same book (different registration numbers), just 2 books of the same grade.  Not sure why it was thought to be a sale that wasn't completed.

To answer the question, members can flag a sale for review by go collect. If eBay records it as a completed sale I imagine it will stay in the gocollect records. I’ve done this multiple times, primarily when a book is misappropriated (different variant/printing than recorded as, for instance.) Considering how many sales need to be entered every day there must be some automatic uploads that will have a failure rate. I like to think I help keep the books I watch accurate.

2 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

When I go to the link, I see at the top the $1475 book, sold by the.boss on 6/7.  In the main photo, I see one now offered for sale by krustycook.  It's not the same seller, not even the same book (different registration numbers), just 2 books of the same grade.  Not sure why it was thought to be a sale that wasn't completed.

Thanks. It appears I was misinterpreting the page it took me to when I clicked the link. My eBay skills are intermediate at best.

1 hour ago, Joosh said:

To answer the question, members can flag a sale for review by go collect. If eBay records it as a completed sale I imagine it will stay in the gocollect records. I’ve done this multiple times, primarily when a book is misappropriated (different variant/printing than recorded as, for instance.) Considering how many sales need to be entered every day there must be some automatic uploads that will have a failure rate. I like to think I help keep the books I watch accurate.

Thank you this is good information to know.

I appreciate the help setting me straight on this. :)

8 minutes ago, Doctor Dositheus said:

Thanks. It appears I was misinterpreting the page it took me to when I clicked the link. My eBay skills are intermediate at best.

Don't blame yourself, it's eBay.  In an effort to keep people engaged with live listings instead of closed listings, they did this reroute thing.  It was even worse at first.  No indication that you had been rerouted.  So you click on a link to a listing, and if it has been sold, they just show you something similar, no message. 

Then I guess people complained, so they put an almost invisible link on top saying something like "If you want to see the original listing, click here."  It was light grey on white, so you could barely see it.  If you didn't know it was there, you wouldn't see it.

Then finally we have what is there today.  A small frame that shows you what you intended to see, and a much larger frame showing you a live listing.  Amidst all the stupid things they do to alienate buyers and sellers alike, they think that this method will lead to a sale.  That's how backward they are.