• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZAID

245 posts in this topic

At the risk of incurring further wrath from those who think I am simply tooting my own horn (which I still say is their problem more than mine poke2.gif), I'm sure those of you who are in the military or former military (particularly Marine) will find my latest case of interest.

The New York Times

June 18, 2006 Sunday

Late Edition - Final

SECTION: Section 1; Column 3; Foreign Desk; Pg. 10

LENGTH: 553 words

HEADLINE: Criminal Inquiry Begins in Killings of 3 Iraqis by U.S. Soldiers

BYLINE: By THOM SHANKER and RICHARD A. OPPEL Jr. ; Thom Shanker reported from Washington for this article, and Richard A. Oppel Jr. from Baghdad.

DATELINE: WASHINGTON, June 17

BODY:

A criminal investigation into the killings of three Iraqis by American servicemen north of Baghdad last month has been set in motion by soldiers who alerted military officials that higher-ranking individuals had caused the deaths of the men, who were being held in custody, according to government officials.

The deaths, which occurred May 9, are being investigated by the Army's Criminal Investigation Command on the orders of the American military's second-highest-ranking officer in Iraq, Lt. Gen. Peter W. Chiarelli. The three Iraqis were killed in Salahaddin Province, a restive Sunni Arab region north of Baghdad.

The deaths occurred during a single episode, officials said. The soldiers whose conduct is being investigated said after the deaths that they had acted because they believed the three men were trying to escape. Officials say the criminal investigation into the killings is already well under way.

The investigation comes as General Chiarelli, the commander of day-to-day operations in Iraq, is reviewing a formal report into whether marines covered up circumstances surrounding the deaths of 24 civilians at Haditha last year.

The Haditha report, which General Chiarelli received Friday, also reviewed whether improper training or a poor command climate had contributed to the killing of civilians. Pentagon and military officials said it might take some days to digest the lengthy report on the investigation, conducted by Maj. Gen. Eldon A. Bargewell of the Army.

One aspect of General Bargewell's report found that there had been no attempt to hide the facts surrounding the civilian deaths in Haditha, but that Marine officers had failed to seek a full explanation of the events that led to those deaths, according to accounts reported by National Public Radio and The Los Angeles Times.

Officials cautioned that the submission of General Bargewell's report did not mean that its current form would be the final and official finding.

General Chiarelli may approve the findings, or he may substitute his own conclusions or add findings based on the compiled evidence. Further, General Chiarelli may send the report back to General Bargewell with questions or an order to gather additional information, or he may make recommendations that require action by his commanding officer, Gen. George W. Casey Jr., the senior American officer in Iraq.

The Bargewell report is separate from the actual criminal investigation into the killings in Haditha, which military officials have said could lead to courts-martial and murder charges for some marines.

Officials from the Naval Criminal Investigative Service are examining the circumstances behind the deaths of the two dozen Iraqis, including assertions by Iraqi witnesses that victims were killed in cold blood, and statements by marines that they were operating within the rules of engagement.

Lawyers representing marines under investigation in the Haditha shootings have said that there was no cover-up and that the marines were acting within established rules of engagement.

On Saturday, Mark S. Zaid, who is representing Staff Sgt. Frank D. Wuterich, a squad leader at Haditha, said: ''All we've ever asked for is a full and fair investigation. And if these are the findings, it would reflect what we have always said to be the truth.''

Thank you for posting this Mark. I find this to be a great way to stay informed as it is not something that my local

paper seems to think I need to know. With all that is going on its is nice to know that you try to keep us informed

as to what "other" interest you have. This thread is a little strange in the information it contains, but I for one

think it speaks well to the members that make up these boards.

That's right.

My real concern is why you are chucking Scott under the bus like you did in open public.

To me, this extends beyond the issues you and I are disagreeing on -- and more to do with something where you were part of a team and are openly criticizing someone else.

Before I go off, I'd just like to know why you did that... I have no interest in getting into a 6th grade playground dispute of name calling.

Actually, it's high time that all three of you stopped behaving as though this were the schoolyard.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought all three of you had the best interests of the long-term health of the hobby at heart...in your proposed actions against Ewert, in the debate regarding disclosure of pressing, in the debate regarding the definition of restoration.

However, with your current behaviour, you're going to have your work cut out being taken seriously by anyone.

Ferchrisakes, guys...how is this helping? confused-smiley-013.gif

I see Mark deleted his post:

Before this goes down the line of irreparable harm between Mark and myself, I'll just say this --

I'm not trying to win any popularity contest -- this is a comic book internet chat room -- but I think the prospect of Mark, Scott and myself all working together for any unified reason is becoming less of a realistic possibility.

I think the prospect of Mark, Scott and myself all working together for any unified reason is becoming less of a realistic possibility.

No sh!te, Sherlock! tongue.gif

That's a shame, Brian...it really is. frown.gif

But to quote Darth at his most annoying...why don't you pick up the phone, one or all of you, and have a conversation? Surely, despite some obvious differences of opinion, you are all pulling in the same general direction?

Aren't you? confused-smiley-013.gif

But to quote Darth at his most annoying...

cloud9.gifacclaim.gif

Nick, you can give me a call and I can be annoying over the phone too tongue.gif27_laughing.gif

Sweeeeeeeet! thumbsup2.gif

Just don't let him talk dirty to you unless you want to hear Greggy's life story.