• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,267 posts in this topic

Way back on page 4 of this very thread:- 
In an old copy of "Paperbacks Pulp and Comicbook Collector" magazine  back in the 1990s there was an article entitled "The sign of the Tee Pee" by Steve Chibnall. This may be the same Steve Chibnall who is currently a professor at Leicester De Montfort University (who states one of his interests as "Sociology of collecting". The article is all about the Leicester based company created by a Fred Thorpe and a Mr Collis of Porters Building merchants (!?!) responsible for those ink stamps on those musty old comics you love.

Most of the article concerns paperbacks, pulps, magazines, "gentlemen's magazines" like Razzle etc. One interesting passage says;

"The breakthrough came when the ban was lifted on imports. Comics publishers in the US expected 40% returns which would normally have been pulped; but export offered an alternative to "burndown". We were able to buy copies at less than the original wholesale price." Thorpe and Porter were soon distributing a million comics a month.

I have a pdf of the article if you can't wait until the magazine is delivered.

tp.thumb.jpg.fbb5501f63b8e126b69ffff83a046c3f.jpg

On 6/16/2024 at 11:58 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Is this a T & P stamp?

There have been other similar examples posted, but it may be from another distributor.

Also, I cannot make out the cancelled stamp. any ideas, anyone?

comickona.webp

I saw that on the bay too, Albert, and saved it into the 'obliterator stamp' file.

If there is any evidence that directly ties that unbranded stamp to T&P, I've yet to see it. But there is a lot of circumstantial evidence upon which to make that assumption. We have lots of examples of books with the 9d T&P stamp obliterated and replaced with a 10d branded T&P to indicate that it was T&P doing the correction. There are a few examples though - your Kona being one of them - where the 10d stamp isn't branded. If it wasn't the work of T&P, in these instances, some other distributor or seller would have had to have been doing the exact same thing using the exact same method (obliteration). Is that likely? Possible of course, but I feel unlikely.

I have lots of evidence built up over time which points to unbranded stamps being the work of T&P. Ditto Miller, and his stamps. It appears to show that, on occasion, they used unbranded stamps alongside branded ones. So for me, I would be as confident as I could be to say that the unbranded stamps in these instances were T&P applied. Could be wrong though, of course. 

It's a T&P 9d under that stamp on the Kona by the way, entirely as you'd expect. I enlarged it and you can just about make it out. 

On 6/17/2024 at 10:59 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I have lots of evidence built up over time which points to unbranded stamps being the work of T&P. Ditto Miller, and his stamps. It appears to show that, on occasion, they used unbranded stamps alongside branded ones.

Is it possible that they sold some returns on to local retailers / distributors cheaply on a no return basis? That would explain both the need for the obliterator stamp to clearly indicate 'you ain't sending this one back, chum' and also a re-price to enable it to be sold on easily by those without Ethels.  Of course, the fact that it's gone up in price would be pretty damned cheeky. 

On 6/18/2024 at 6:07 PM, Malacoda said:

Is it possible that they sold some returns on to local retailers / distributors cheaply on a no return basis? That would explain both the need for the obliterator stamp to clearly indicate 'you ain't sending this one back, chum' and also a re-price to enable it to be sold on easily by those without Ethels.  Of course, the fact that it's gone up in price would be pretty damned cheeky. 

We can't can say for sure, but I doubt it. I see more examples of 9d obliterated books with branded T&P 10d replacements than unbranded. Why would the 'sole distributor in the UK' allow someone else to do what they were themselves already doing?

On 6/15/2024 at 1:02 PM, themagicrobot said:

I have a pdf of the article if you can't wait until the magazine is delivered.

tp.thumb.jpg.fbb5501f63b8e126b69ffff83a046c3f.jpg

Many thanks for the offer, @themagicrobot - Rich (Malacoda) has kindly sent me through a copy of the PDF.  It is an interesting read. As well as a brief mention of Atlas, the article briefly touches on T&P's import of cheap remaindered paperbacks from ACE, Monarch, etc. All so tantalising..