• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do N.Rings suddenly appear ?
1 1

2 posts in this topic

I know the NR subject has been done to death, but I have this important and far reaching question.

When I joined CGC last year and returned to comic collecting, I had a number of my original silver age keys graded for the first time. This was in November 2019. These were returned by CGC cased and pristine. i was pleased with the results. This remained so until June 2020. I now find a few of these comics are now exhibiting Newtons Rings....Why ? This has also happened to one or two recent modern age 9.8's I bought in January 2020.

I keep these comics stored vertically in a proper BCW plastic bin. They are kept in a clean and dry environment in my bedroom wardrobe and away from the room heating radiator. I have thought about this and wonder if it could it be caused by storing vertically ? Maybe storing horizontally is better ?

It is clear that something has brought the inner plastic and outer plastic sleeves closer together in order to make NR suddenly appear, or is this normal and the NR I'm seeing is something that will continue to permeate my collection with time ?

Looking forward to your response.

Colin

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thanks for your message.  As Newton rings are a visual phenomenon and are caused by light passing through the different layers of plastic, the way they are stored shouldn't have an effect.  It, theoretically could be possible, however, that the way you stored them might have caused the plastic of the inner sleeve to come into contact with the outer plastic making the newton rings more pronounced, although, I have not heard of this happening to others.  Newton rings are considered normal and a certain amount does fall within acceptable limits.  If you feel your books have an unacceptable amount, you can email us a picture and we can review.  You can send that to us at submissions@cgccomics.com.

Thank you!