• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spinner Racks for Slabs?
1 1

42 posts in this topic

I really wanted this spinner rack and I asked for it for my birthday, BUT......

My wife said she searched Amazon and asked me to compare first. I know another board member posted a picture of one earlier, but it only held four books on it's four sides (for a total of 16 books on display).

I did more searching on Amazon and found one that displays the same amount of books as the one advertised by Spinner Rack, but I wanted to know how they compared. This is what I uncovered during my comparison:

MEASUREMENTS: The Spinner Rack gave limited measurements but claims the pockets are 8.25" wide and 1.25" deep. Amazon's pockets measure 8.625" wide and 4.25" deep (Height is 8.5").

The Amazon pockets are a little wider so your going to have an extra 0.1875" gap on each side of your books for a total extra width of 0.375"

The depth difference of 1.25" vs. 4.25" is a vast difference, but by comparing the pictures, it seems the Spinner Rack is measuring the bottom of the pocket vs. the top of the pocket Amazon measured. They both look similar in size.

The Amazon rack is a total of 18"x18" and 59" tall. The Spinner Rack does not give the total structural measurements.

COLOR OPTIONS: I really like the white rack and this is an option with the Spinner Rack (comes in white or black). The Amazon rack only comes in black.

HOW THE BOOKS ARE DISPLAYED: Both racks display books at an angle and it looks like they both only show about the top 1/3 of the book to include the CGC label. All books are angled forward to accommodate the amount of books the racks hold. However, the Spinner Rack's wired framed pockets are only visible from the sides of the book, whereas the Amazon wired framed pockets are visible across the entire book. This may bother some people.

SIGN ON TOP: The Spinner Rack gives optional signs for the top that are displayed on all four sides. This is very cool and nostalgic. The signs are very simple and clean. Amazon offers a sign holder and you have to come up with your own sign to display on the top of your rack. I am assuming this doesn't spin when you spin the books, but I'm not sure. This could be a really cool option to customize your rack with your own name/logo/etc.  

BASE: The Spinner Rack brags about how quiet their base is, but I don't know how the noise compares to Amazon's rack without actually having both in hand. I'm undecided on how I like the racks' bottom setup. There seems to be about a foot clearance off the ground before the Amazon rack displays the bottom book. I like having the books off the ground, but I'm not thrilled about the rather basic looking base. The Spinner Rack books begins just above ground level and you don't see the base as much. This design may also help display a little more of the book, but I'm not sure without having all measurements.

QUALITY: By looking at the pictures, the Spinner Rack appears to be of better quality. It doesn't look like plastic is used, but the Amazon rack's center pole and sign holder looks like plastic to me. The Spinner Rack just looks sturdier to me.

PRICE: Spinner Rack is offering a discount of $30 if ordered this month. The price drops down to $369, but US shipping is $99 for a total of $468 before taxes. Amazon's rack is $192.28 shipped before taxes. It very hard to ignore the almost $300 price difference.

AVALIBILITY: Spinner Rack ships in late September 2020 so you have to wait a couple of months. Amazon's rack is scheduled to arrive in about a week.

DECISION: This is based on my opinion only, but I feel the Spinner Rack looks nicer and appears to be of higher quality. I like that it comes in white and there's no metal wire frames going across the books. Since they hold the same amount of books, there's no disadvantage there. The biggest issue I'm faced with is the price. I feel I can get a very professional and personalized sign for the money difference and this would make me very satisfied with the Amazon purchase. It's not like I plan on spinning and staring at my books for hours on end. The Amazon rack would look just fine in my office/man cave and that's the purchase I decided on. If anyone is talented enough to make me a great metal sign at a great price (probably license plate size, double sided with art), please PM me with some pricing range. :foryou:

Hope this posting was helpful for anyone else who was on the fence.

949EE264-5A6E-472B-98AB-C86A3D9EE9AD.png

CFB91A19-91B0-450F-9B68-75DA6C8C23DD.png

Edited by KryptoMayor
Added photos

1 hour ago, KryptoMayor said:

I really wanted this spinner rack and I asked for it for my birthday, BUT......

My wife said she searched Amazon and asked me to compare first. I know another board member posted a picture of one earlier, but it only held four books on it's four sides (for a total of 16 books on display).

I did more searching on Amazon and found one that displays the same amount of books as the one advertised by Spinner Rack, but I wanted to know how they compared. This is what I uncovered during my comparison:

MEASUREMENTS: The Spinner Rack gave limited measurements but claims the pockets are 8.25" wide and 1.25" deep. Amazon's pockets measure 8.625" wide and 4.25" deep (Height is 8.5").

The Amazon pockets are a little wider so your going to have an extra 0.1875" gap on each side of your books for a total extra width of 0.375"

The depth difference of 1.25" vs. 4.25" is a vast difference, but by comparing the pictures, it seems the Spinner Rack is measuring the bottom of the pocket vs. the top of the pocket Amazon measured. They both look similar in size.

The Amazon rack is a total of 18"x18" and 59" tall. The Spinner Rack does not give the total structural measurements.

COLOR OPTIONS: I really like the white rack and this is an option with the Spinner Rack (comes in white or black). The Amazon rack only comes in black.

HOW THE BOOKS ARE DISPLAYED: Both racks display books at an angle and it looks like they both only show about the top 1/3 of the book to include the CGC label. All books are angled forward to accommodate the amount of books the racks hold. However, the Spinner Rack's wired framed pockets are only visible from the sides of the book, whereas the Amazon wired framed pockets are visible across the entire book. This may bother some people.

SIGN ON TOP: The Spinner Rack gives optional signs for the top that are displayed on all four sides. This is very cool and nostalgic. The signs are very simple and clean. Amazon offers a sign holder and you have to come up with your own sign to display on the top of your rack. I am assuming this doesn't spin when you spin the books, but I'm not sure. This could be a really cool option to customize your rack with your own name/logo/etc.  

BASE: The Spinner Rack brags about how quiet their base is, but I don't know how the noise compares to Amazon's rack without actually having both in hand. I'm undecided on how I like the racks' bottom setup. There seems to be about a foot clearance off the ground before the Amazon rack displays the bottom book. I like having the books off the ground, but I'm not thrilled about the rather basic looking base. The Spinner Rack books begins just above ground level and you don't see the base as much. This design may also help display a little more of the book, but I'm not sure without having all measurements.

QUALITY: By looking at the pictures, the Spinner Rack appears to be of better quality. It doesn't look like plastic is used, but the Amazon rack's center pole and sign holder looks like plastic to me. The Spinner Rack just looks sturdier to me.

PRICE: Spinner Rack is offering a discount of $30 if ordered this month. The price drops down to $369, but US shipping is $99 for a total of $468 before taxes. Amazon's rack is $192.28 shipped before taxes. It very hard to ignore the almost $300 price difference.

AVALIBILITY: Spinner Rack ships in late September 2020 so you have to wait a couple of months. Amazon's rack is scheduled to arrive in about a week.

DECISION: This is based on my opinion only, but I feel the Spinner Rack looks nicer and appears to be of higher quality. I like that it comes in white and there's no metal wire frames going across the books. Since they hold the same amount of books, there's no disadvantage there. The biggest issue I'm faced with is the price. I feel I can get a very professional and personalized sign for the money difference and this would make me very satisfied with the Amazon purchase. It's not like I plan on spinning and staring at my books for hours on end. The Amazon rack would look just fine in my office/man cave and that's the purchase I decided on. If anyone is talented enough to make me a great metal sign at a great price (probably license plate size, double sided with art), please PM me with some pricing range. :foryou:

Hope this posting was helpful for anyone else who was on the fence.

949EE264-5A6E-472B-98AB-C86A3D9EE9AD.png

CFB91A19-91B0-450F-9B68-75DA6C8C23DD.png

the spinner rack is based on the classic comic spinner design whereas the amazon rack is a modern rack built to hold periodicals.

To me the nostalgia is worth the price difference. I would rather own a comic related product.