• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st full appearance of The Beyonder [Census Request]

3 posts in this topic

The Beyond is first seen on three occasions during the two books of Secret Wars, respectively (I've listed the first three as they progress, conveniently from corporeal, hidden, and physical form):

Secret Wars #1

Appears as an unseen being speaking to the various heroes and villains.

Spoiler

0fMp5HQ3YpRxNc6CGnxT1T6eJCPTNpZwmE7aM6M_

Secret Wars II #1

His silhouette appears on the front cover, and his shadowy appearance is seen by Molecule Man a few pages on.

Spoiler

RCO001.jpg

RCO005.jpg

Secret Wars II #2

He appears on the front cover with energy emitting about him, and first appears in human form.

Spoiler

RCO002.jpg

RCO003.jpg

Personally, I believe the CGC graders should approach this criterion as how they've approached both Jessica Cruz and Mister Mind:

Secret Wars #1

Should 100% be classified as "1st cameo appearance (voice) of Beyonder.", similar to how Captain Marvel Adventures #22 is classified as "1st appearance (voice) of Mister Mind."

Secret Wars II #1

Should be classified as "1st appearance of Beyonder in one-panel cameo (face not revealed).", as how CGC describes Green Lantern #20 as: "1st appearance of Jessica Cruz in one-panel cameo (face not revealed)."

Secret Wars II #2

Should be noted as "1st full appearance of Beyonder".

597e29fee086dfd0b7e638e55e69c527.jpg

Conclusion:

Some may argue a humanoid body doesn't define the Beyonder, and that his first appearance is Secret Wars #1, but I disagree, as the same could be said for Anti-Monitor, a being of corporal appearance and structure - yet, CGC recognises his corporeal form as a cameo, as well as acknowledging his full appearance in a humanoid-esque body:

1. The Anti-Monitor appears in the shadows to Psycho Pirate in Crisis on Infinite Earths #2 - nothing at all, only but a voice (exactly similar to Beyonder in Secret Wars #1) , in which CGC classes this as "1st appearance of the Anti-Monitor, in cameo.", and later classifies his appearance - while having a humanoid-esque body, in Crisis on Infinite Earths #6 as the "1st full appearance of the Anti-Monitor." 

2. Ego the Living Planet appears on the last panel of Thor #132 - physically and his voice is included (more than can be said of The Beyonder on Secret War #1), yet CGC classes it as "1st appearance of Ego in cameo on last page." 

3. Mister Mind's appearance in Captain Marvel Adventures #22 is noted for his voice, whereas Captain Marvel Adventures #26 acknowledges his full appearance. 

4. The Mary Jane Watson listings: The Amazing Spider-Man #25 is classified as "1st cameo appearance of Mary Jane Watson, (face not shown).", Amazing Spider-Man #42 as "Mary Jane Watson's face revealed for, the 1st time in cameo on last page", and lastly Amazing-Spider-Man #43 as "1st full appearance of Mary Jane Watson."

I very much hope this will be considered, given how long this comic has gone without being labelled appropriately.

Edited by Bart Allen

• Administrator

Hello, thanks for your message.  I will forward this information over to our graders.  However, if you are submitting a book and you would like a first appearance listed that is not currently on the label, you should notate your request on your packing slip and on a sticky note attached to the comic bag and our graders can review at that time as well.  All first appearance determinations are done at the discretion of the graders and a customer request does not always result in the first appearance being added. 

If you have any questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

9 minutes ago, Jennifer F. said:

Hello, thanks for your message.  I will forward this information over to our graders.  However, if you are submitting a book and you would like a first appearance listed that is not currently on the label, you should notate your request on your packing slip and on a sticky note attached to the comic bag and our graders can review at that time as well.  All first appearance determinations are done at the discretion of the graders and a customer request does not always result in the first appearance being added. 

If you have any questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

Many thanks for forwarding these to your graders. I'm curious whether - if I do send a comic into CGC - whether I could also provide official information from DC or Marvel which would support such a decision within the 1st appearance criterion, dates etc.

Edited by Bart Allen