• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ridiculously High Shipping Charges from DC might make Collecting in Canada a thing of the past
2 2

6 posts in this topic

Comics may have started shipping again but Canada is now at a near breaking point with DC Comics. They broke off of Diamond, but their alternative is ridiculously pricey. Diamond, for all its faults, had a distribution center in Canada, making shipping as reasonable as it is in the US. But that does not seem to be the case for DC's new alternative. A local retailer shared on Facebook their shipping charge for a box shipment of weekly comics, which is now $100 USD (so $140 CAD) per box. More than ten times what shipping used to cost, so they say.

Image may contain: text

If this is the new norm, then they will have to charge more than cover price for comics to make ends meet. Either that or not stock any more DC until DC finds a better solution, which would really suck for a ton of DC fans who don't want holes in their collection.

So, to my fellow Canadian friends, I ask you what you are ready to do in this case. Will you buy your comics online instead (like from mycomicshop) and have them shipped, or would you be ok with paying more at the shop, or are you ok with a temporary drought if that's what it takes to send DC the message?

This really are some crazy times in the industry, I truly hope this works out (especially since I am quite the Batman fan and could not wait to finally get someone other than Tom King on the book)

7 hours ago, William-James88 said:

The shop I go to owns 3 shops so hopefully that's enough to offset it but I am still weary of it all.

You should be. I understand distribution to the UK is also an issue.

This may make subscriptions mandatory from some LCS shops, possibly even pre-pay for those DC books.   I know nothing is more annoying to a shop owner than a sub who has 50 books sitting in his bin, and not answering their cell phone.  

As far as I know from some local dealers in Vancouver, Universal Distribution headquartered out of Quebec made a deal with DC to distribute to Canadian dealers.  Works well I guess, as DC comics are still being printed in Quebec.  Have your dealer check with the closest Universal Distribution office.