• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanting to send a comic to CGC, but possibility it's a facsimile?

4 posts in this topic

I recently managed to obtain a Young Marvelman #370 - which is the last comic of that series (its cover is actually a reprint of another issue).

But I noticed that the comic was in rather good condition, especially the cover: I presumed it was a facsimile. But several people (who have dealt with Marvelman comics) - including the seller 30th Century Comics - have said it's an original due advertisement on the back, slight musty smell, the rusty staples and the indicia. I did some research to discover that Marvelman/Young Marvelman facsimiles were produced in very small numbers (around 5 of each) by a UK dealer of the name Bryon Whitworth, in the early 1990s - they're very, very rare. 

But I'm curious whether your graders could assist me on this one, and whether they'd be able to detect whether it was a facsimile? If there a possibility if such a comic was discovered to be a facsimile that I could avoid having it encapsulated when sent in? Here are some of the images:

Spoiler

image.png.4d2387bfd3af8aa08e718e34a61c6a86.pngimage.thumb.png.6848cbf9c48801101277ef8b790a0c10.png.2c6aee0f980947e6a58db3a07641be06.png

image.png.6ef2309daae131e6195122987dd07757.png

image.png.8937c2b89c2f5d88faeb7418fc4fbff5.png

Edited by Bart Allen

• Administrator

Good morning, thanks for your message.  Unfortunately, our graders would not be able to make any determinations based on pictures alone.  They would have to examine the book in hand.  We do not have a service that can check for things of this nature prior to grading, unfortunately.  If you submit the book for grading and it can be graded then it would be graded and encapsulated and sent back to you.  

If you have any other questions, please let us know. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning, thanks for your message.  Unfortunately, our graders would not be able to make any determinations based on pictures alone.  They would have to examine the book in hand.  We do not have a service that can check for things of this nature prior to grading, unfortunately.  If you submit the book for grading and it can be graded then it would be graded and encapsulated and sent back to you.  

If you have any other questions, please let us know. Thank you!

Regarding that book: if I do send it in, I have various pieces of official information published by Marvel relating to writers, key comments, so on and so forth about Young Marvelman #370 - so I'm curious would the graders take into account the information I send to them, especially if they are pieces that were included in text by Marvel? There are only a handful of these books on CGC's census, and these are still rather rare books - especially the early issues and the last issue, respectively; hence, why CGC included hardly any information on Young Marvelman 370's companion which was: Marvelman #370 (published in the same month) - by which a link is here: Marvelman #370 CGC

For example, if I were to submit the page below, from Marvelman Family's Finest #6 (as Young Marvelman #370 has a reprinted story from YM #202), would they include it rather than leaving the details blank? As I'd be very surprised if your graders would be able to find the details other than here.

RCO003_1583540569.jpg

• Administrator

Good morning,

You can request any specific comments or notations, however, the final decision on something like that would be at the graders' discretion.  You can include any supplemental information you wish and we can provide that to the graders.  If you want something in particular you can attach a sticky note to the comic bag and also write it on your packing slip and we will pass that information to the graders for review.

Thanks!