• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many Pottery Collectors do we have here?

10 posts in this topic

My wife, big time and me vicariously through her. I've been to pottery auctions and often thumb through her subscription copy of Ceramics Review. In all seriousness, she has some great pieces. No Bernard Leach or Shoji Hamada yet, but maybe one day. cloud9.gif

if something catches my eye and the price is right....

More of a tile collector though. I had a little kick where I was collecting old tiles that was started when we went to Portugal in 2000 and I came back with a few dozen painted tiles from the late 1600s through mid-1800s. I had a project in mind for them, but, of course, they're still in a box. Back then, with a relatively strong dollar and Portugal being a relatively less expensive country, they weren't terribly expensive. I paid $4-$10 each for them. I then bought some cool American tiles from the late 1800s. And then I stopped.

(Before you ask "how can painted tiles from the 1600s and 1700s have only been $4- $10? Well, first, there are a lot of them in Portugal. Second, the dollar wasn't in the *spoon**er back then. now they tend to run $30-$50 a pop.)