• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wayne, NJ (local show) Con Report

3 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if anyone on these boards actually goes to the small Wayne, NJ run by JP of pug productions.... but it's a fun little show that generally turns out about 100-150 people and brings out some dealers with decent books (but no super high grade or tons of slabs) but a nice diverse cross section of dealers etc. Some dollars books, some decent mid grade stuff, and the occasional nice high grade raw piece.

Today's show turned up an interesting piece, the original prelim art for ASM 121 complete... interesting piece that was actually sold to Ankur (spelling phoenetically) for roughly $5k. The other stuff in the room was pretty much the same dealers all over the place... but interesting nonetheless. Lots of decent books to look at.

I picked up via trade the following:

JLA 79, 81, 82 all in nice 9.0-9.2

Journey Into Mystery 94 6.0

Superboy 164 9.2-9.4

Showcase 80 8.5

Mystery In Space 84 and 79 both in 6.0

paid $80 cash for a beautiful looking VG+ FF 26 -- really sweet book except some very, very light wear and a small piece of corner cover missing. Beautiful white pages with clean white cover. Nice VG+

$10 in no minimum bid auction for Art of the Silver Age (sc)

From an LCS picked up a gorgeous Daredevil 7 6.5/7.0 -- and saw some great books I'm looking forward to picking up.

I was happy -- with all this nonsense going on in the FF 3 thread, it's just cemented the following: I'm leaving high grade for good, and leaving buying slabs behind except for when I want to resell a book. Tonight I cracked out my Avengers 4, JIM 112, GL 76, Burntboy's Bats 156 and Aquaman 18, and another stray Aquaman slab. I'm going for nice eye appeal books only from now on. Will buy a slab if I can crack it and it's got a nice book that I don't want to leave in the holder, but for the most part, targeting mid grade raw. The more I thought about it, the more I want to start enjoying comics and stop worrying about investment, money, high grade, and what very corrupt dealers are doing to our hobby.