• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone requested an off-brand signature, "honest forgery", or secretariat?

4 posts in this topic

I've thought off and on about getting Grant Morrison to sign a book twice, once as himself and once as Grant Morrison of Earth-2, or something screwball like two creators signing one another's names (which I've had jokingly threatened before in autograph lines but it might be kind of fun for something like intercompany crossovers).

Likewise, for sentimental value, I'd imagine a Mark Evanier Kirby autograph forgery that is honest about what it is ("Jack Kirby" signed by Mark Evanier) might actually have some market value or Joe Sinnott remarquing Kirby's signature. Or even a jam session Kirby signature with the J and K by two Kirby schomars and the remaining text by two others. Not to present as an authentic Kirby but as a kind of work of art itself.

Heck, I'd probably pay Todd Klein a dozen witness fees to forge signatures with a big "Forged by Todd Klein" dedication at the bottom because my sense is that he's probably a fantastic counterfeiter. Steranko would probably be game for something like that as well as he prides himself as a forger. A "celebrity forgery" that admits who forged it strikes me as good fun if it's an honest forgery. (So if witnessed and slabbed it might read "Stan Lee + Jack Kirby written in ink and signed by Jim Steranko".)

10 minutes ago, PatrickG said:

I've thought off and on about getting Grant Morrison to sign a book twice, once as himself and once as Grant Morrison of Earth-2, or something screwball like two creators signing one another's names (which I've had jokingly threatened before in autograph lines but it might be kind of fun for something like intercompany crossovers).

Likewise, for sentimental value, I'd imagine a Mark Evanier Kirby autograph forgery that is honest about what it is ("Jack Kirby" signed by Mark Evanier) might actually have some market value or Joe Sinnott remarquing Kirby's signature. Or even a jam session Kirby signature with the J and K by two Kirby schomars and the remaining text by two others. Not to present as an authentic Kirby but as a kind of work of art itself.

Heck, I'd probably pay Todd Klein a dozen witness fees to forge signatures with a big "Forged by Todd Klein" dedication at the bottom because my sense is that he's probably a fantastic counterfeiter. Steranko would probably be game for something like that as well as he prides himself as a forger. A "celebrity forgery" that admits who forged it strikes me as good fun if it's an honest forgery. (So if witnessed and slabbed it might read "Stan Lee + Jack Kirby written in ink and signed by Jim Steranko".)

I don't know about market value, but when I asked for his signature he jokingly said, "Which one?" before signing (and striking) Walt Disney's name.

ImxnEpc.jpg

That's really interesting because it has enough characteristics of a Walt Disney personal autograph to tell me Evanier's signed it or studied it before even though it's also not convincing as a forgery.

A few years ago Valiant fan project (for which I can't find a photo) got Jim Shooter to sign one side of the flipbook as "Jim Shooter" and the other side as "Paul Creddick" (Magnus Robot Fighter #5, 1991).  Shooter used "Paul Creddick" as a pseudonym for work where he did the art, since he didn't consider himself an artist.