• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why was Marvel obsessed with radioactivity?

41 posts in this topic

all radioactive mutations lead to godzilla, i think. that was a social comment on never using such power again, and i agree, not that it matters, about the doctor solar date. another social commentary, i think.

23 minutes ago, Brock said:

I think you're right, but "some magical entity" was spelled R-E-T-C-O-N. :smile:

Yup. According to the video the story was ignored, so it failed completely as an attempt to change the origin.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Marvel character development alignment with the escalating events in the Cold War, leading up to the Cuban missile crisis? (shrug)

Yup...

And it was not just Marvel, most everything from Godzilla to B Level Sci Fi movies capitalized on the public's fascination AND concern with atomic energy and radiation. 

Most of marvel's heroes came in post-WWII, after the bomb was developed and dropped and people started having second thoughts on whether it was right to develop and use such a weapon. 

Most of DC's heroes came from the WWII or earlier era before the bomb, and certainly before there was any widespread thought of nuclear or radiation being "bad" (since it was lauded for helping to win the war)

Zora got her powers by reflecting on the nature of reality and becoming her own god.
image.jpeg.4ee4691bd5d46fcfdfaa04dabcb1a8e2.jpeg

I have actually had superpowers for abt one week.  I cannot divulge how I acquired them.

5 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Most of DC's heroes came from the WWII or earlier era before the bomb, and certainly before there was any widespread thought of nuclear or radiation being "bad" (since it was lauded for helping to win the war)

1 hour ago, kav said:

I have actually had superpowers for abt one week.  I cannot divulge how I acquired them.

You weren't messing around with one of these, were you?

Open%20800.jpg

A freak accident with uranium ore?

Edited by Ken Aldred

9 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

You weren't messing around with one of these, were you?

Open%20800.jpg

A freak accident with uranium ore?

HOLY SHEETS

I never knew about this... lol 

OMG just plain old OMG

I looked it up to see if it was for real... and they actually shipped out radioactive materials to kids... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_U-238_Atomic_Energy_Laboratory

The professional journal IEEE Spectrum published a more-detailed review in 2020, discussing the kit in the context of the history of science education kits and safety concerns. It described the likely radiation exposure as "minimal, about the equivalent to a day’s UV exposure from the sun", provided that the radioactive samples were not removed from their containers, in compliance with the warnings in the kit instructions

It cost $50 back then which is almost $530 now. 

Just omg... 

33 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

provided that the radioactive samples were not removed from their containers, in compliance with the warnings in the kit instructions

And, of course, kids always follow instructions to the letter.

A ridiculous expectation. :facepalm:

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I wonder if any Superheroes thought their gifts or powers were in all actuality a curse...I'm pretty sure John Constantine felt this way

Cyclops, Nightcrawler, most of The Doom Patrol, Ferro Lad of the LOSH ?

Edited by Ken Aldred

My Cub Scout group went to the Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant. After the tour, we were allowed to exchange one of our dimes for a dime that was exposed to whatever and glowed in the dark. I slept with that dime on my nightstand a few inches away, for many a year.