• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LA Art Dealer pleads guilty to selling fakes

14 posts in this topic

While not comic art I thought this was interesting. 
Especially this:

Righter went so far as to purchase custom-made embossers bearing insignia of the estates of Basquiat, Haring, and other artists. He used them to stamp the COAs, lending the documents an appearance of legitimacy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/10/los-angeles-art-fraud-basquiat-warhol-philip-bennet-righter

I wonder if they didn't have enough to pursue a case in 2016 but it appears they knew he was trying to sell a fake.  Plus they had to know he had priors.

"In August of 2016, the Los Angeles police department reportedly questioned Righter about a fake Keith Haring painting he attempted to sell to a Miami art gallery. Officers warned Righter against continuing to market forged works, but he persisted under various pseudonyms until at least June of 2018."

People like this impact the lives of their victims.  He should not be fined and jailed simply as that.  He should be stripped of all financial assets to be distributed to cover damages and whatever he can't cover to re-pay those he harmed plus additional monies to as damages, should have future earnings garnished.  I'd not even contest nor blink an eye if he were incarcerated for a long term or even put to death, knowing he's a non-contributing member of society and a cancer who will always seek out victims to exploit for personal gain.  

3 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Hells yes.  You know you've got OA collectors in high places when crimes worthy of execution include art forgery. }:-)

Or, we could just cut off one of his balls, since they seem too large to begin with.

27 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

Thanks for the share.  There's so many fake Basquait and Harings out there.  Just glance at any of those auction sites.  It's a shame they aren't gone after more by the authorities and any auction site selling these fakes should be shut down.  (shrug)

Sadly they ALL have disclaimers saying sold as is. That protects them I’d imagine. The Haring estate will now only authenticate items sold by Sotheby’s. Interesting way to raise the market value of an artist while essentially deeming everything else as fraudulent. 

7 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

Sadly they ALL have disclaimers saying sold as is. That protects them I’d imagine. The Haring estate will now only authenticate items sold by Sotheby’s. Interesting way to raise the market value of an artist while essentially deeming everything else as fraudulent. 

Not necessarily, but it raises the legal bar by making it harder for a defrauded buyer to win. It also depends on what the auction house knows or should have known.