• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on this X-Factor #6 CGC 9.8 CPV

10 posts in this topic

This just arrived today from Comiclink. I most likely overpaid for it but I’m ok with that. It’s a rare(ish) price variant of one of my favorite Marvel villains. I realize that grading is subjective and that this is graded at a 9.8, not a 10. In short, it doesn’t have to be PERFECT. But is this corner chip acceptable for a 9.8?

Otherwise, the book is a definite 9.8 candidate. If you examine the first photo you’ll see a line on the lower left spine. That’s just a small scratch on the case. The spine looks great! And of course there are no grader notes but that’s not a surprise given the 9.8

I reached out to Comiclink to inquire about the original seller and I received multiple responses. They all verified that he/she was in good standing with multiple past sales over the years and no reported issues. There’s no evidence of tampering on the holder. It was graded in January of 2019. Apparently it was won at a Clink auction and then immediately consigned via Clink. 

I found a thread on the other forum where this is mentioned as a common ‘production flaw’ with this particular book. When I look at the past 50 9.8 (majority Direct) sales on gocollect, I don’t see any with this chip. 

I’ve owned maybe 100-150 9.8 Coppers in my lifetime. There have definitely been some questionable spine tics, rough corners, etc. This would have to be the worst example I’ve seen. What do you think? Acceptable? 

C8317801-3B5A-4875-8466-B055D60DE602.jpeg

825B20EB-E2CF-4596-A996-EDEF21972C4C.jpeg

39 minutes ago, chasehasadog82 said:

I found a thread on the other forum where this is mentioned as a common ‘production flaw’ with this particular book.

Yes, the top right corner of the front cover being chipped is quite common for this issue. It's been mentioned or discussed multiple times in threads here.

39 minutes ago, chasehasadog82 said:

When I look at the past 50 9.8 (majority Direct) sales on gocollect, I don’t see any with this chip.

They're definitely out there.