• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Steve Ditko left Spider-man/Marvel
4 4

147 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2021 at 1:23 AM, bluechip said:

Examples disproving that are legion.  For years, DC comics' execs shook their heads unable to grasp why the Marvel comics with art they considered ugly was pulling readers away from their books, which had art they considered much better (and the vast majority of people would have agreed).  I could name a few movies wherein the DP was an absolute genius and every shot was a masterpiece of imagery but the film cannot be appreciated on any level but as a series of beautiful images.          

Image Comics 2000s - often a combination of nice artwork with engaging storylines.  Highly regarded.

Very different to the reputation of Image Comics in the 1990s, now widely derided for its empty focus on artistic style alone.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/22/2021 at 5:23 PM, bluechip said:

Examples disproving that are legion.  For years, DC comics' execs shook their heads unable to grasp why the Marvel comics with art they considered ugly was pulling readers away from their books, which had art they considered much better (and the vast majority of people would have agreed).  I could name a few movies wherein the DP was an absolute genius and every shot was a masterpiece of imagery but the film cannot be appreciated on any level but as a series of beautiful images.          

Have to agree.  a solid story can be told with stick figure drawings.  most stories need no drawings (novels).
But a boring dum story is nothing even if kneel atoms drew it in his prime.  Read the spectre books he wrote and drew if ya dont believe me.  Read batman odyssey.
Puke Throw Up Sticker by Emoji for iOS & Android | GIPHY | Animated  emoticons, Emoticons emojis, Emoji

On 8/22/2021 at 5:23 PM, bluechip said:

?

i'm talking about my point of view, and i'm talking about comics, not movies. i agree completely that movies and tv rely on story first. comics are a drawn or painted medium. totally different. 

look at the success mcfarlane had with spiderman in the nineties, pretty sure no one can argue his writing was the reason. but his style was fresh and exciting to the kids. as a kid i could not stand gil kane, and i still can't. it keeps me from trying to get into any of his work. i think some people feel that way about ditko and some of the comments above confirm it. if that's the case, then they won't even try to read the books. 

On 8/23/2021 at 2:54 PM, alexgross.com said:

look at the success mcfarlane had with spiderman in the nineties, pretty sure no one can argue his writing was the reason. but his style was fresh and exciting to the kids

Yup. Stylistically interesting, novel and exciting for a short time, but the lack of depth and hack writing behind the illustrations quickly wore out its welcome as a whole. The better artists from the 80s to early 90s group of newcomers, such as Arthur Adams and Jim Lee, emerged relatively unscathed.  Unlike McFarlane and Liefeld, both of them continued to hone their artistic skills rather than rest on their laurels and not bother to address the foundational limitations.

I just bought a slabbed copy of Uncanny Tales 38 and while looking up the contents came across a strange bit of information. 

According to MCS, there is a story called " Plague" by Ed Winiski, that Steve Ditko later redid in Tales To Astonish 44

Can anyone expand on this? I'd love to see the two side by side if anyone has both books raw.