• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 300
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Someone is interested in this book, however, they are questioning the grade that I assigned to the book, so I will let the community decide.

Notable defects...

1)Spine Ticks W/Color Break (Approx 11-12, only a couple make it around to the front cover, the majority are only on the spine itself)

2)Small 3/4" non color breaking crease near the spine tick just above spidey's web.

3)Very Slight 2 1/2" non color breaking crease top right corner

4)The most detrimental defect, it appears someone tried to trace something on the inside front cover, only one line made it through to the outside front cover and from the outside it looks like a single line crease.

THANK YOU!!!

A)ASM 300.jpg

B)ASM 300.jpg

C)ASM 300.jpg

D)ASM 300.jpg

G)ASM 300.jpg

H)ASM 300.jpg

I)ASM 300.jpg

J)ASM 300.jpg

K)ASM 300.jpg

L)ASM 300.jpg

No better than about a 6.0.  The tracing indents could be worked out with a tack iron/ball bearing, but with not much help to the grade IMO. Also, the interior tanning and BC rubbing/ color breaks etc hurts this badly.  

FN 6.0 is exactly what I said, the questions I received are...

1)How did you arrive at that grade? I sent him the same pics and descriptions as I posted here along with pics of the FN 6.0 grading standards and defects pages from the Overstreet Grading Guide.

2)Why can't you guarantee that CGC will grade that as a FN 6.0 if you say it is a FN 6.0? The answer I gave is... Grading is subjective, CGC graders are human, nobody ever knows what grade their book will come back as until they receive it.

3)His original post in a FB group was...First time poster, ISO an ASM 300 Low to Mid Grade, I contacted him and he says...He was looking to spend more for something in a higher grade but he is very interested in this book, especially because the price is lower than anything he has seen on eBay.

I am not totally sure what to do here, seems like it may be a risky sale, Opinions...

Agreed with a 6.0, probably with something like OW/Cream for PQ.

7 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

2)Why can't you guarantee that CGC will grade that as a FN 6.0 if you say it is a FN 6.0? The answer I gave is... Grading is subjective, CGC graders are human, nobody ever knows what grade their book will come back as until they receive it.

This question is on my short list of warning signs that a return would be likely.

Interior pages hurt this one, unfortunately.  I can't see how pressing it would help much either.  5.5/6.0...IMO.

Honestly, I wouldn't deal with that person on FB.  They either don't know much about grading or they are completely scamming you.  Either way, seems fishy.  You might be better off finding a CGC threadie who's interested. :bigsmile:

I have dealt with others in FB groups selling books and to this point I have had no issues selling books such as ASM Annual 1, ASM 361, X-Men 94, 100, 101, 137, 141, etc.

None of the books are actually listed for sale, I wait until I see someone looking for something and then I message them.

I do agree this sale sounds risky.

12 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

I have dealt with others in FB groups selling books and to this point I have had no issues selling books such as ASM Annual 1, ASM 361, X-Men 94, 100, 101, 137, 141, etc.

None of the books are actually listed for sale, I wait until I see someone looking for something and then I message them.

I do agree this sale sounds risky.

(thumbsu

1 hour ago, marvelmaniac said:

1)How did you arrive at that grade? I sent him the same pics and descriptions as I posted here along with pics of the FN 6.0 grading standards and defects pages from the Overstreet Grading Guide.

3)His original post in a FB group was...First time poster, ISO an ASM 300 Low to Mid Grade, I contacted him and he says...He was looking to spend more for something in a higher grade but he is very interested in this book, especially because the price is lower than anything he has seen on eBay.

I am not totally sure what to do here, seems like it may be a risky sale, Opinions...

I’m always wary of people like this. Sounds like he wants a guaranteed deal. 

I also would say 5.5-6.0 and would air on the lower side to keep everyone happy. 

I usually grade very conservatively, however I was not sure how much to deduct for the tracing marks, other than that I thought the book graded at a FN+ 6.5 - VF- 7.5.

Either way I am seeing copies selling for around $250.00 on eBay with some in better shape and some in worse shape, I am also seeing books in the same or worse shape selling for around $200.00, I cannot get a good read on this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Amazing-Spider-Man-300-May-1988-Marvel-/184360050690?hash=item2aecb72002%3Ag%3Ai3MAAOSw0uxfCMdY&LH_Auction=1&nma=true&si=eSSTId0Ee4bFqhe9P0R0Z8pjr8c%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-300-1988-1st-Appearance-of-Venom-Newsstand-/133402583920?hash=item1f0f69e370%3Ag%3A3EEAAOSwfZpesLOv&LH_Auction=1&nma=true&si=eSSTId0Ee4bFqhe9P0R0Z8pjr8c%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

1 hour ago, marvelmaniac said:

I'm probably the last person without Facebook,  but how does the transaction work? Paypal and shipping? Or meet in person? 

I think you just have to spell it out. As a buyer he has a responsibility to learn to grade and understand what he's buying. Offer to send him all the pictures he wants,  but you can't "guarantee" a grade and sales are final unless you failed to reveal something significant. 

10 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I'm probably the last person without Facebook,  but how does the transaction work? Paypal and shipping? Or meet in person? 

I think you just have to spell it out. As a buyer he has a responsibility to learn to grade and understand what he's buying. Offer to send him all the pictures he wants,  but you can't "guarantee" a grade and sales are final unless you failed to reveal something significant. 

The only reason i am now on Facebook is, when my Son decided to sell his books I started by contacting contacting comic shops in the area, it seems nobody does e-mail anymore, the only way to contact these shops is through Facebook or Twitter, so I joined Facebook.

After only getting one interested party who offered pennies on the dollar I joined some comic book Facebook groups just to talk about comics.

Only one that I am in has allows for sale or ISO posts, I wait until I someone that wants something and then I message them, send them pics and a price.

If they are interested they send money to my Son's PayPal account and I ship the books, Priority Mail only, once I drop it at the post office I send them the tracking info.

All books are in Mylites w/Boards, placed in Bubble Bags and Sandwiched between two pieces of Heavy Cardboard.

KNOCK ON WOOD!!! I have yet to experience any issues yet, the folks on the Facebook comic book groups I am in tend to look out for each other, if someone has an issue and gets ripped off everyone knows about it, who did it and what the issue was.

These groups are not like the Gaming groups where everyone just Bit***s and Cries and Complains about Online play and how so and so cheated, there is none of that, it is all about showing what you have and talking about the hobby and collecting.

13 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

The only reason i am now on Facebook is, when my Son decided to sell his books I started by contacting contacting comic shops in the area, it seems nobody does e-mail anymore, the only way to contact these shops is through Facebook or Twitter, so I joined Facebook.

After only getting one interested party who offered pennies on the dollar I joined some comic book Facebook groups just to talk about comics.

Only one that I am in has allows for sale or ISO posts, I wait until I someone that wants something and then I message them, send them pics and a price.

If they are interested they send money to my Son's PayPal account and I ship the books, Priority Mail only, once I drop it at the post office I send them the tracking info.

All books are in Mylites w/Boards, placed in Bubble Bags and Sandwiched between two pieces of Heavy Cardboard.

KNOCK ON WOOD!!! I have yet to experience any issues yet, the folks on the Facebook comic book groups I am in tend to look out for each other, if someone has an issue and gets ripped off everyone knows about it, who did it and what the issue was.

These groups are not like the Gaming groups where everyone just Bit***s and Cries and Complains about Online play and how so and so cheated, there is none of that, it is all about showing what you have and talking about the hobby and collecting.

It sounds like cgc boards lol. Maybe I should join Facebook once and for all. 

In any event, I would sell it with PayPal G&S, spell out your rules clearly. Tell him to review the comic and grade it for himself before purchasing. Your not a professional grader and grading is subjective. You shouldn't be held responsible for CGC disagreeing. 

1 minute ago, KCOComics said:

It sounds like cgc boards lol. Maybe I should join Facebook once and for all. 

Not sure what you collect but there are Facebook groups for every type of collector.

I belong to "Comics 'Silver Age", "Marvel Comics Fans 1961 - 1986", "Low Grade Comic Collectors And Buy/Sell/Trade", "Old Guys Who Like Old Comics".