• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone recommend a good flatbed scanner for slabs?
6 6

33 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, c_mkv said:

8300 if you can still find it is ideal...inexpensive and has the large bed-size. Only problem is the glare issue....have no idea how to fix it. Open to suggestions

You can see it at the bottom of the book on this scan

I just bought a used 8300 yesterday and have done like 20 scans and I'm not seeing the glare issue except on like two slabs, and I think it has to do with the inner well.  The vast majority are glare free.  See the sales thread I just posted--all scans made 30 minutes ago on an 8300:  

Edited by Poekaymon

On 8/3/2020 at 12:36 AM, Tony S said:

Contact image sensor (CIS) is what most scanners - those that cost less than a grand - use now. Small and cheap. But it has no depth of field. It can only see that which lays flat on the scanner glass. Anything held away from the bed is out of focus. 

So regardless of scanner depth, if it is CIS completely punt? I have an Epson (CIS) somewhere with at least 48 bits that I was still hoping to attempt, just for the sake of experimentation. 

On 3/20/2023 at 12:54 AM, Investment Comic Books said:

Not sure if anyone’s still looking, but I wrote a blog post on this topic. 

https://blog.investmentcomicbooks.com/2023/03/best-graded-comic-book-scanner.html?m=1

I just got the Plustek A320E and I am enjoying it.  I'm not tech savvy whatsoever, I still need a bit of help tweaking the settings.

On 3/20/2023 at 5:34 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

I just got the Plustek A320E and I am enjoying it.  I'm not tech savvy whatsoever, I still need a bit of help tweaking the settings.

I have scanned hundreds on mine, not one hiccup!

I use Windows 11 Photo app and here are my best calibration settings I have found work best for me and my calibrated LED monitor. 

2022-12-14 22_43_35-Settings.png

On 7/23/2023 at 9:26 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

Looking great!

Yeah I think it shows the true color of the slab, and closest representation I could get. 

I used to calibrate TVs, so I have calibrated my monitor and the color profile. Then I played with the controls of Windows 11 photo app and measured the color accuracy of that of the comic itself and they look as close as I could possibly get it!

Ive used the same Canon Flatbed Scanner for many years, but it cant do slabs.
I will have to look and see how wide the HPs are in comparison. Ive literally used two 
Canon flatbed scanners for 15 years. My old one still works as well, but a driver issue
finally forced me to update to a new one about 4 years ago.

Before I found out about the Plustek, I was having a super difficult time finding a flatbed scanner that would fit slabs.  I don’t think they’re produced as much now.

Edited by DocHoppus182
Spelling

On 7/24/2023 at 11:23 AM, fastballspecial said:

Ive used the same Canon Flatbed Scanner for many years, but it cant do slabs.
I will have to look and see how wide the HPs are in comparison. Ive literally used two 
Canon flatbed scanners for 15 years. My old one still works as well, but a driver issue
finally forced me to update to a new one about 4 years ago.

HP I talk about in my blog post, been there done that… ugh it was a rough experience!

On 7/24/2023 at 5:38 PM, Investment Comic Books said:

HP I talk about in my blog post, been there done that… ugh it was a rough experience!

I use a CaonScan 5600F currently, but I probably need to look to update it I think its like 
5 years older or older, but its tough. Ive literally done at least 5K scans or more with no issues.