• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I send my comics to CGC

4 posts in this topic

Hi I’m new to this but I have a copy of amazing Spider-Man 10 and 11. They are low grade and not in great condition but when I looked into value I see amazing Spider-Man 11 at a grade of 0.5 is worth $200. So I was wondering if it’s worth getting them graded?

Welcome To the Boards!!!

Actually your values are high, the closest we have to true Fair Market Value for Raw books (IMO) is eBay sold listings if you use them correctly, auctions only, minimum of 5 bidders, being sure there was no bidding war that artificially raised the price, pics show the book is in the same grade as yours, etc.

I check eBay sold auctions twice a year for my key books, early issues of a character, my favorite books, books over $100.00 etc (info for my kids when I am gone) and in June ASM 10 in FR 1.0 was selling for $50.00, ASM 11 in FR/GD 1.5 recently sold on July 6 for $67.00, according to Go Collect (Graded Books Only) an ASM 11 in FR/GD 1.5 FMV (actual sold books) is $220.00.

Having said all of that, grading is a personal choice depending on your plans for the books, If your goal is to sell for a profit then yes, graded books usually bring a higher price but you have to weigh out the cost vs selling price, just remember...

Having a book graded does not offer any addition protection over a Mylite and Acid Free Board other than it can never be touched or read again, (you can get reprints to read the story) a CGC slab offers no UV protection and is not airtight so it still needs to be stored in the proper conditions just as any raw book would be.

Another option for opinions would be to post pics of the book(s) in the "Hey Buddy, Can You Spare A Grade" section.

22 hours ago, The Irish man said:

Hi I’m new to this but I have a copy of amazing Spider-Man 10 and 11. They are low grade and not in great condition but when I looked into value I see amazing Spider-Man 11 at a grade of 0.5 is worth $200. So I was wondering if it’s worth getting them graded?

Please remember, the value of your book is what is can sell as, not what it is being listed as. You have to check for what price your comics sold for. 

Also, what do you mean by worth being graded? The value does not necessarily go up on graded books. Raw books sell just as well, especially early issues of spider-man. If you want them graded because you think a slab looks nice, then go for it. But know that it wont increase the value of your books. And if you plan on selling them, then grading them will only eat into your profit.