• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBay return rate...

73 posts in this topic

Different guy. The seller of the Hulk is aardvarkps, not aardvark88

OOppps my bad,

In that case October the guy that you bought from cant grade worth a [embarrassing lack of self control], my only transaction with him for a couple of FN/VF books listed as NMs sign-rantpost.gif

I don't get why this guy has 99.8% feedback then. Feedback is truly a useless gauge of a seller. mad.gif

Will you be leaving negs?

Buy slabbed 8.5's to 9.2's and your problems are solved and you don't have to pay through the nose for them. As I've always said, you can dig through the dirt on ebay and find some gems, but more often than not all you'll end up with is dirty hands. frown.gif

(However, I have some good news - your books are on the way! thumbsup2.gif )

umm, why would someone intentionally spend $30+/- slabbing an 8.5 that guides for $30-$50? that's a niche market of buying from people who are new to CGC who bungled their submissions. i suspect there are fewer and fewer of these goofs every month (there were a lot in the early years when lots of people sent VFs in thining they were NMs), particularly as people do a little research and determine that slabbing most VF books is a waste of money.

I have an eBay "favorite sellers" list that I use to buy raw copies of anything. I've delt with these individuals a bunch of times and therefore trust their grading. Of course, until I got this list, I had to return a bunch of books too. Now I rarely venture outside this list but when I do I consider it throwing away my money until the seller proves he can grade. CGC books cost more but if you factor in the stress, shipping fees to return books, hidden defects, restoration and all the other things that plague raw books I think CGC buyers usually come out ahead.

to the_blob, Their may be less VF books submitted but I've been getting great deals on slight professional restoration books that grade 9.4 but received purple labels. I guess it all depends on your comfort level.

yes, restored books are so despised nowadays there are likely some great deals. personally, i don't mind it much on the right golden age books if i know what i'm getting. a trimmed and pressed book from 1968 i'm not so keen on.

Will you be leaving negs?

It depends on the refund and how quickly it get's here. Sometimes I leave negatives in situations like this, sometimes I don't. What does everyone think?

True. I changed my post, cause I realized it porbably isn't the same guy anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now you know why HG Collectors buy CGC books.

Yes, we pay a boat load more, but I willing to pay up, to get what I want and expect.

Buying raw books on eBay is nearly impossible. Maybe five years ago it was easier, but anyone with lots of feedback as a comic dealer, would understand which books to get CGC'd and which one's not to get CGC'd.

Obviously, if you are buying a grade that wouldn't be worth getting CGC'd in the first place, then there is less reason for the seller to bump up the grade.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know why high grade collectors by slabs, but I am not a high grade collector. Not much point in slabbing or buying slabbed 8.0s and 8.5s.

You seem to want HG or you wouldn't be buying books that say 8.5/9.0. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

BTW, the last price CGC'd in 8.0 on this book was less than $50. And I'll bet 9 out of 10 times that a CGC 8.0 will be nicer than a raw 9.0 on eBay. And you will have exactly what you ordered (in some cases the book will even look better), no returns and increased liquidity in case you every decided to sell.

Good luck buying raw. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

True. I changed my post, cause I realized it porbably isn't the same guy anyway.

And now you know why HG Collectors buy CGC books.

Yes, we pay a boat load more, but I willing to pay up, to get what I want and expect.

Buying raw books on eBay is nearly impossible. Maybe five years ago it was easier, but anyone with lots of feedback as a comic dealer, would understand which books to get CGC'd and which one's not to get CGC'd.

Obviously, if you are buying a grade that wouldn't be worth getting CGC'd in the first place, then there is less reason for the seller to bump up the grade.

I know why high grade collectors by slabs, but I am not a high grade collector. Not much point in slabbing or buying slabbed 8.0s and 8.5s.

You seem to want HG or you wouldn't be buying books that say 8.5/9.0. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

BTW, the last price CGC'd in 8.0 on this book was less than $50. And I'll bet 9 out of 10 times that a CGC 8.0 will be nicer than a raw 9.0 on eBay. And you will have exactly what you ordered (in some cases the book will even look better), no returns and increased liquidity in case you every decided to sell.

Good luck buying raw. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

You consider me, collecting 8.5/9.0 late silver and bronze, a high grade collector? confused.gif Haven't you repeatedly said in the past that only 9.4s for SA on 9.6s for BA are high grade?

If I could find a slabbed 8.0 of that book for $50 I would have bought it in a second. Trouble is, they aren't exactly easy to find. I have nothing against buying slabs in the VF range as long as they aren't too much more than their raw counterparts. I have done it a couple times in the past and cracked them out. But 99% of the time I either can't find them, or they go for too much. If anyone comes across a King Size 1 for that price in 7.5 or 8.0, please let me know...

You consider me, collecting 8.5/9.0 late silver and bronze, a high grade collector? Haven't you repeatedly said in the past that only 9.4s for SA on 9.6s for BA are high grade?

I don't think I ever said HG is 9.4 for SA or 9.6's for BA. I consider 8.0 HG in SA, but as the book gets newer I raise it a bit.

Regardless of what I consider HG, I'm just saying buying CGC 8.0's will not cost you more then 10-20% more then SUPPOSED 9.0 or higher raw books on eBay. And you won't waste money returning books. Nothing to me is worse then spend $10 in shipping (both ways) and having nothing in my collection to show for it.

BTW, Most NM books on eBay are barely VF.

umm, why would someone intentionally spend $30+/- slabbing an 8.5 that guides for $30-$50? that's a niche market of buying from people who are new to CGC who bungled their submissions. i suspect there are fewer and fewer of these goofs every month (there were a lot in the early years when lots of people sent VFs in thining they were NMs), particularly as people do a little research and determine that slabbing most VF books is a waste of money.

I taled to Mark Haspel the other day about some things and he mentioned to me that he graded a Thor 224 with a married page 893whatthe.gif some people think that a book being graded is a license to print money and not know any better.

I have done pretty dang good recently. And although in the past I have surely received some overgraded books, I have never returned a single book, ever (not counting the big scam book that brought me to this Forum a while back). However, out of hundreds of purchase transactions, two times I let the seller know that I was very unsatisfied and that I either wanted to return the book(s) or get a partial refund. Both times they took the partial refund option. Granted, in almost all occasions when I bought a raw book (usually in lots) I made sure that the price I was paying was well below FMV so that even if they were overgraded, I would still be happy with the books whether I kept them of flipped them. I have also realized that the feedback really does tell you alot. If I scan back a few pages and see statements such as "books as advertised", "accurately graded", "better than expected", etc., then I usually have some confidence in what I am buying. Plus I have returned to certain dealers that I have found UNDERgraded their books. In the past there were some nightmares. Last year or so I have had a very succesful run with Ebay purchases. But when you add together good feedback, nice scans, a professionally laid out listing, and just a good "vibe", you can often do pretty well.

You consider me, collecting 8.5/9.0 late silver and bronze, a high grade collector? Haven't you repeatedly said in the past that only 9.4s for SA on 9.6s for BA are high grade?

I don't think I ever said HG is 9.4 for SA or 9.6's for BA. I consider 8.0 HG in SA, but as the book gets newer I raise it a bit.

Regardless of what I consider HG, I'm just saying buying CGC 8.0's will not cost you more then 10-20% more then SUPPOSED 9.0 or higher raw books on eBay. And you won't waste money returning books. Nothing to me is worse then spend $10 in shipping (both ways) and having nothing in my collection to show for it.

BTW, Most NM books on eBay are barely VF.

Maybe you are right. From now on I will keep my eyes open for slabbed 7.5-8.5s. I will see how I do when compared with buying raw. thumbsup2.gif

However, out of hundreds of purchase transactions, two times I let the seller know that I was very unsatisfied and that I either wanted to return the book(s) or get a partial refund. Both times they took the partial refund option.

I am a little leery of the "partial refund" option. It kind of smacks of a shakedown. I know that if someone emailed me asking for a partial refund, I would probably prefer the return. There just seems like a lot of potential for misuse there.

However, out of hundreds of purchase transactions, two times I let the seller know that I was very unsatisfied and that I either wanted to return the book(s) or get a partial refund. Both times they took the partial refund option.

I am a little leery of the "partial refund" option. It kind of smacks of a shakedown. I know that if someone emailed me asking for a partial refund, I would probably prefer the return. There just seems like a lot of potential for misuse there.

Yes, that can appear as a "shakedown", or possibly a negative/neutral feedback threat. And I imagine that some scammer buyers out their would misuse this option, but not me. And when sellers see my buy/sell feedback I am pretty sure they get a sense that I am a fair guy to deal with on either side of the transaction. Since I am not the type of guy that must have a specific grade, if I am willing to pay $50 for a VF, I'd be happy with the same book at $35 for a F+. And I let them know that. The few times this happened I was professional and mature about it. I also preferred the partial refund because shipping a book back to me is just a hassle, so it worked out well. And yes, if they refused either, I would have left a just deserved neg or neutral, so in a way the "shakedown" really is a shakedown, however a fair one, not a scam on the part of the buyer in this case.

Yes, that can appear as a "shakedown", or possibly a negative/neutral feedback threat. And I imagine that some scammer buyers out their would misuse this option, but not me. And when sellers see my buy/sell feedback I am pretty sure they get a sense that I am a fair guy to deal with on either side of the transaction. Since I am not the type of guy that must have a specific grade, if I am willing to pay $50 for a VF, I'd be happy with the same book at $35 for a F+. And I let them know that. The few times this happened I was professional and mature about it. I also preferred the partial refund because shipping a book back to me is just a hassle, so it worked out well. And yes, if they refused either, I would have left a just deserved neg or neutral, so in a way the "shakedown" really is a shakedown, however a fair one, not a scam on the part of the buyer in this case.

I didn't mean to suggest YOU were shaking them down. 27_laughing.gif I just meant that from a seller's perspective, someone you didn't know asking for a partial refund might seem like a scam. That being said maybe I will give it a try in the future if I get an overgraded book I wouldn't mind keeping. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I didn't mean to suggest YOU were shaking them down. 27_laughing.gif I just meant that from a seller's perspective, someone you didn't know asking for a partial refund might seem like a scam. That being said maybe I will give it a try in the future if I get an overgraded book I wouldn't mind keeping. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh, I know you weren't saying that about me, but the seller who has no idea might think that. That is why my own feedback as well as my professional sounding response let's the seller know that I am being legit. I find that most buyers and sellers out there on Ebay are pretty reasonable as long as you deal with them in a respectful manner. Even if they suck at grading, if you explain the situation in a pleasant way, pointing out the problems, it usually works out. I think that what happens often is that unfortunately when being on a bad side of a deal, the "injured" party is not always so polite, thus problems ensue.