• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman #1 1939

11 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

Sorry that yours turned out to be a reprint.  Is there a story behind it?

Coincidentally, there was a Famous First Edition without the outer cover for sale on Ebay that the dealer was trying to pass off as original recently.

I wrote to him several times trying to get him to change the description.

He did not, and the item eventually got 10 bids and sold for $227 (or thereabouts).

I can't remember if I flagged the listing to Ebay when he didn't correct it.

8 minutes ago, circumstances said:

Coincidentally, there was a Famous First Edition without the outer cover for sale on Ebay that the dealer was trying to pass off as original recently.

He did not, and the item eventually got 10 bids and sold for $227 (or thereabouts).

Photograph of Phineas T. Barnum

what he said

eBay seems to have little interest in correcting fake au

13 hours ago, circumstances said:

eBay doesn't seem to have much interest in correcting fraudulent auctions like that.  It's more money in their pockets if they allow it to continue and they make their cut.

There is one fun (imho) way to combat this kind of stupidity.  It requires that you have a copy of the "rare" book in question, and you offer a simultaneous honest auction (that you don't expect to actually sell).  In this case, you 'd need a FFE with the cover removed (or maybe just folded way back for photo purposes).  Photograph your book and post it for sale, along with the original seller's description copied almost verbatim.  However, in your description, you change the wording to state very clearly and in large bold letters that it's a FFE with the cover removed.  State that it's worth very little, because it's incomplete, and you'd sell it for $15 as a good read.  "Oh, and by the way, watch out for fakes.  If you see somebody selling something that purports to be Superman #1 and it's 10" x 13", it's the same worthless book."

Not everybody will look at your listing, and of those not everybody will read all that text.  But if even a few do, you've managed to warn a few people about the fraudulent listing.  Fewer bidders can translate to a lower price for the seller.  And you will have educated a few possible suckers out there.