• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legendary Leading Comics #1-#14
3 3

45 posts in this topic

Leading Comics #3 Summer 1942-Cover by Mort Meskin and the story “The Tyrants of Time” by an unknown writer.

The time machine of Dr. Doome brings Genghis Khan, Alexander the Great, Attila, Napoleon, and Nero to 1942. He sends them after 5 elements he needs in order to travel to the future, where he will reign unbeatable. The heroes ultimately pursue Doome to the Trojan War, where his time device explodes, killing him. 

The Brain Wave, who would appear months later in All Star Comics #15, owns a tower lab that resembles Dr. Doome’slighthouse headquarters. 

My copy of Leading Comics #3 was purchased as a raw book in January 2020 at the Costa Mesa Comic Convention. I believe I paid $350 for it and it was submitted to CGC for grading where it received a 5.5. Actually, about half of my Leading Comics were purchased raw since graded ones were not easy to find.

605BECE5-8760-4CC4-A03C-81C5521DA2C0.jpeg

BE5CC917-ACDD-4250-85F7-820018445399.jpeg

Leading Comics #4 Fall 1942-Cover by Mort Meskin and the story “The Sense Master” by Bill Finger.

The Sixth Sense, a paralyzed telepathic, sends five men, each with one sense of smell, touch, sight, hearing, and tasteenhanced, after five jewels. When reunited in an idol, these gems allow the actual villain, Dr. Brett who is disguised as The Sixth Sense’s robot, to give life to animated statues with a sixth gem, the Lifestone. But he is turned to stone by it. 

In early 2020, I was down to two last books. I already wrote about how I acquired issue #2 which was the last book I needed. I was looking for a #4 with no luck and decided to check out World Wide Comics who I had bought a few books from in the past. I really didn’t expect to find #4 there much less any Leading Comics, but to my amazement, they not only had a #4, but it was a San Francisco Pedigree and at a 9.6, it was the highest graded copy on the CGC Census with White pages to boot. The problem was at $3,000 it was a lot more than I wanted to spend. But something inside me kept telling me to GO BIG!!! After some negotiations with World Wide, I was able to purchase it for $2,500 in the middle of February 2020 while I was on vacation in Kauai. It’s a decision that I’m glad I made!!

FB5B053A-D9FF-4742-9032-E570876D812A.jpeg

1F53B69E-8890-4073-B642-0B9F405F657B.jpeg

2 hours ago, Ghastly542454 said:

Leading Comics #4 Fall 1942-Cover by Mort Meskin and the story “The Sense Master” by Bill Finger.

The Sixth Sense, a paralyzed telepathic, sends five men, each with one sense of smell, touch, sight, hearing, and tasteenhanced, after five jewels. When reunited in an idol, these gems allow the actual villain, Dr. Brett who is disguised as The Sixth Sense’s robot, to give life to animated statues with a sixth gem, the Lifestone. But he is turned to stone by it. 

In early 2020, I was down to two last books. I already wrote about how I acquired issue #2 which was the last book I needed. I was looking for a #4 with no luck and decided to check out World Wide Comics who I had bought a few books from in the past. I really didn’t expect to find #4 there much less any Leading Comics, but to my amazement, they not only had a #4, but it was a San Francisco Pedigree and at a 9.6, it was the highest graded copy on the CGC Census with White pages to boot. The problem was at $3,000 it was a lot more than I wanted to spend. But something inside me kept telling me to GO BIG!!! After some negotiations with World Wide, I was able to purchase it for $2,500 in the middle of February 2020 while I was on vacation in Kauai. It’s a decision that I’m glad I made!!

That's one of my favorite covers in the run; and you knocked it out of the park with this book! Boy the premise of that story sure sounds a lot like the Avengers movie. Well Bill Finger was a talented guy so we should not be too surprised. Thanks for continuing to post. Are any of these stories reprinted? I'm trying ot remember if they ever put any in the 100 page giants back in the early seventies when the Soldiers cross overed into JLA. As a matter of fact I think that was the first crossover JLA series I bought off the stands.

36 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

That's one of my favorite covers in the run; and you knocked it out of the park with this book! Boy the premise of that story sure sounds a lot like the Avengers movie. Well Bill Finger was a talented guy so we should not be too surprised. Thanks for continuing to post. Are any of these stories reprinted? I'm trying ot remember if they ever put any in the 100 page giants back in the early seventies when the Soldiers cross overed into JLA. As a matter of fact I think that was the first crossover JLA series I bought off the stands.

They are all reprinted in the DC Archive Editions. I believe there are 3 or 4 volumes for Leading Comics.

7 hours ago, Ghastly542454 said:

WOWZERS!! :golfclap:

Leading Comics #5 Winter1942-43 Cover by Mort Meskin and the story “The Miracles That Money Couldn’t Buy” by an unknown writer. The interior artwork was by Ed Dobrotka.

The Seven Soldiers of Victory battle The Skull, who has sent five henchmen-Bronco Slade, Sparkler, Bull Corbin, Matt Greider, and Porky Johnson to perform virtually impossible tasks on his behalf. When The Skull uses rays emitted by his ill-gotten gains to try to become young again, he dies of old age. 

The Vigilante is shown without his kerchief mask on the cover, no doubt so he can be seen smiling. 

After being a brunette previously in both More Fun and Leading, Green Arrow has blond locks in this issue and forever after. 

My copy of Leading Comics #5 was purchased at the Costa Mesa Comic Con in January 2020 as a raw book for $400 from an unknown seller. It was given to CGC to be graded at the show. I was pleased with the grade of 6.5 it received. This is one my favorite covers in the run.

42D498BC-825F-47D6-9432-7AE2809160FE.jpeg

415CF8CF-012A-47C9-8D5D-9010017B66E3.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Ghastly542454 said:

Leading Comics #5 Winter1942-43 Cover by Mort Meskin and the story “The Miracles That Money Couldn’t Buy” by an unknown writer. The interior artwork was by Ed Dobrotka.

The Seven Soldiers of Victory battle The Skull, who has sent five henchmen-Bronco Slade, Sparkler, Bull Corbin, Matt Greider, and Porky Johnson to perform virtually impossible tasks on his behalf. When The Skull uses rays emitted by his ill-gotten gains to try to become young again, he dies of old age. 

The Vigilante is shown without his kerchief mask on the cover, no doubt so he can be seen smiling. 

After being a brunette previously in both More Fun and Leading, Green Arrow has blond locks in this issue and forever after. 

My copy of Leading Comics #5 was purchased at the Costa Mesa Comic Con in January 2020 as a raw book for $400 from an unknown seller. It was given to CGC to be graded at the show. I was pleased with the grade of 6.5 it received. This is one my favorite covers in the run.

42D498BC-825F-47D6-9432-7AE2809160FE.jpeg

The Vigilante is a great character; but has never broken out of the list of DC B players. It seems like he would do really well as a TV show with an update. Both Stripesy and the Shining Knight are on Stargirl; seems like the Vigilante would fit right in too!

2 hours ago, NEED MO DAKKA said:

Not to take away from this thread, but there are a lot of fantastic looking Leading Comics in the next Sunday HA for those who are also motivated to search out some these books!

Saw that run; pretty fun. Wonder what brought that group out of the woodwork as its unusual to see so many at once.

Leading Comics #6 Spring 1943 Cover by Ed Dobotka and the story “The Treasure That Time Forgot” written by Joe Samachson.

To help with the war relief, the heroes compete in teams trying to locate a billion dollars in gold that Pizarro took from Atahaulpa. Crimson Avenger and Wing do not participate in the teams and instead pursue the gold on their own. The Soldierseventually succeed in obtaining pre-Columbian gold for the Allied cause. 

My copy of Leading Comics #6 came from Boardie @Top City Comics in 2018. I can’t remember what I paid for it but I did have it put into a new holder.

B9809758-0602-47B2-B6D5-E22BB78D7A35.jpeg

2F58972C-BB6E-47B1-A46E-40375B9502AD.jpeg

Leading Comics #7 Summer 1943 Cover by Jon Small and the story “The Wizard of Wisstark!” by Joe Samachson. 

The Soldiers are taken to the Arctic city of “Wisstark” whose “wizard” is an American with no real magical powers, who taught his adopted people democracy. The Seven Soldiers of Victory fight “wizards” from the city of Stanovia and expose them as fakes, thereby bringing peace to that temperate kingdom in Antarctica. 

Pages 6 and 7 of the first chapter are each composed of the art for two pages, reduced in size to make a pair of pages instead of four, as the total page count in National/DC Comics was reduced. But the count would be reduced even further beginning with the next issue. 

My beautiful copy of Leading Comics #7 came from Boardie @skypinkblu in 2017 after another Boardie @Comicdey had first considered buying it. For whatever reason he decided he didn’t want it and it was made available to me. I paid $450 for it. It was in one on the first generation CGC holders (no first generation “goodness” with me-I detest them) and it was quickly sent off for a new holder and presents so much better now in my opinion.

E78E1B82-6E18-4729-99EF-392C2E762921.jpeg

70AC7964-962B-4A5E-A811-CB22F8D5B14F.jpeg

3 hours ago, Ghastly542454 said:

Leading Comics #7 Summer 1943 Cover by Jon Small and the story “The Wizard of Wisstark!” by Joe Samachson. 

The Soldiers are taken to the Arctic city of “Wisstark” whose “wizard” is an American with no real magical powers, who taught his adopted people democracy. The Seven Soldiers of Victory fight “wizards” from the city of Stanovia and expose them as fakes, thereby bringing peace to that temperate kingdom in Antarctica. 

Pages 6 and 7 of the first chapter are each composed of the art for two pages, reduced in size to make a pair of pages instead of four, as the total page count in National/DC Comics was reduced. But the count would be reduced even further beginning with the next issue. 

My beautiful copy of Leading Comics #7 came from Boardie @skypinkblu in 2017 after another Boardie @Comicdey had first considered buying it. For whatever reason he decided he didn’t want it and it was made available to me. I paid $450 for it. It was in one on the first generation CGC holders (no first generation “goodness” with me-I detest them) and it was quickly sent off for a new holder and presents so much better now in my opinion.

E78E1B82-6E18-4729-99EF-392C2E762921.jpeg

Was Joe Samachson a science fiction writer as well? Many of these stories seem to have that flair about them.  Another great cover and interesting in that only four of the eight characters are actually shown looking at the reader. By the way which of the eight characters didn't count in the Seven Soldiers lineup?