• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Canadian Seeking Advice

2 posts in this topic

Hi All. I am preparing to send in my first CGC submission and any advice you can offer is much appreciated. I will be submitting 25 modern tier first.  Advice on packing, and which shipping option is best to send and receive the books is a priority. How can you insure that books will not be subject to import fees on the value of the books when sending and receiving since the books are already mine and not being purchased? Obviously duties may be applied to the cost of the grading and shipping of the books. I look forward to any clarity you can provide on these issues. Thanks.

I sent some books to Florida today from Montreal. I sent around the same number of books. Bubble wrap is the way to go. I made two sets of about a dozen books and I bubble wrapped them. You can then put pieced of carboard on the top and bottom of your bubble wrap bundle and fasten them with tape. Then I put both bundles side by side in a big cardboard box.

We are lucky in Canada, we actually have a USPS service for packaged sent to the US. When I explained what I was sending and why to the lady, she chose to mark "other" in the declaration section and write "for evaluation, will be returned". You can write any number you want for total value, it doesn't matter since there arent taxes involved and the US has no duty fees for civilian packages anyway.

For insurance, I paid for $500 in additional insurance. It wont cover my books, but I figured it's enough to ensure that my package doesn't get lost or at least will give an extra incentive to find it if ever it does get lost. 

It only cost me $30 for the package with tracking and an additional $10 for insurrance. That is a way better deal than what it will cost you (and I ) when those books get shipped back from the US. Shipping from Canada to the US is waaaay cheaper than shipping from the US to Canada since they don't have a canadian service, they just consider us as international a destination as the UK.