• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #1 CGC 9.4 EP - Has this been discussed on this chat forum?
2 2

26 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Label says “cover leafcasting”. The more often used term seems to be “pieces added” to cover. Anybody know the difference ? Excuse my ignorance ...

You started this thread 2 years ago and if I understood you correctly that question is answered by Tony S in your thread:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/441207-the-difference-between-the-designation-reinforced-piece-added-leaf-casted/

On 8/15/2020 at 12:50 PM, Gotham Kid said:

NEVER be the FIRST to buy the "HIGHEST" graded copy, usually at stratospheric prices. The butt hurt will soon follow.

Unless they’re into that kind of thing...:devil:

8898724B-B375-45B6-9F45-3DB9D4B8BF2C.gif.0ccaf011478db64673a798c732f7ee2b.gif

20 minutes ago, N e r V said:

You started this thread 2 years ago and if I understood you correctly that question is answered by Tony S in your thread:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/441207-the-difference-between-the-designation-reinforced-piece-added-leaf-casted/

Did I start a thread two years ago? Wow - you have a better memory than me 🧐

Well I never really understood exactly the difference between these two techniques thats why I ask. - and I am also not entirely sure I know when the one or the other is applied?

27 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

Did I start a thread two years ago? Wow - you have a better memory than me 🧐

Well I never really understood exactly the difference between these two techniques thats why I ask. - and I am also not entirely sure I know when the one or the other is applied?

The Tony S comment was this:

Reinforced is using rice paper or similar to strengthen the book. It's most commonly done along the spine or centerfold but I have seen entire covers that were reinforced. 

Piece(s) added is just what it sounds like. A comic has missing piece(s) which are replaced with other pieces of paper. Professionals use similar paper (often from another vintage comic book) cut it to fit and glue it in. 

Leaf casting is done by creating a slurry of similar paper to what is being leaf cast. Then the page/cover with missing pieces is put into said slurry and the new paper adheres to the old. After removal and drying the missing pieces are filled in. 

When pieces are replaced  / leafcasted there almost always color touch up or art recreation done. 

I thought that was a good idea of the differences. If you’re looking for more or exact detail we’d probably need someone who has done them to walk you through the process on a book.

And 2018 was almost yesterday...:nyah:

40 minutes ago, N e r V said:

The Tony S comment was this:

Reinforced is using rice paper or similar to strengthen the book. It's most commonly done along the spine or centerfold but I have seen entire covers that were reinforced. 

Piece(s) added is just what it sounds like. A comic has missing piece(s) which are replaced with other pieces of paper. Professionals use similar paper (often from another vintage comic book) cut it to fit and glue it in. 

Leaf casting is done by creating a slurry of similar paper to what is being leaf cast. Then the page/cover with missing pieces is put into said slurry and the new paper adheres to the old. After removal and drying the missing pieces are filled in. 

When pieces are replaced  / leafcasted there almost always color touch up or art recreation done. 

I thought that was a good idea of the differences. If you’re looking for more or exact detail we’d probably need someone who has done them to walk you through the process on a book.

And 2018 was almost yesterday...:nyah:

When I re read this its interesting that leafcasting is new paper, while pieces added seems to be vintage paper. 

The way I imagine it, leaf casting must be a more invasive procedure? Right?

Another question: in terms of resto pricing, are books with pieces adddd considered more desirable than leaf casted books? (Generally).

On 8/15/2020 at 3:48 PM, Sensei Ryan said:

That's a quarter of a Mil drop in less than 2 years!  Was it because one sold at auction and the other didn't?  Surely a married CF can't be the only reason for such a disparity in sales!

I'm not sure entirely of the price difference but I do think a Married Centerfold can be a attributed to at least some of the price differential.

I sold a Cap #1 with a married centerfold that was otherwise all original and it went for about half of what a blue label copy would have gone for.

@Gotham Kid Thank you!

And thanks to everyone for their help!