• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM X-Men 1 (1991 - don't get too excited :) )
1 1

9 posts in this topic

OK. Book 3 (and last, for now) in my quest for knowledge. This, along with my other two, could use a press, but the only thing that stands out to me on this one is the tiny manufacturing nub on the very top left of the spine. Maybe a couple tiny smudge/stains on the back cover near the spine. 

Thanks, in advance, for the knowledge here. 

x5.thumb.jpg.eb15ca7cfd0181f2071992f6780a06a4.jpgx6.thumb.jpg.505b62a30f9748d8808b3dbcdceb7cca.jpgx1.thumb.jpg.e552458cfbc90a319b9cb97d501fbcca.jpgx2.thumb.jpg.6fea1b27d1957d0750e75ae24b25f8d0.jpgx3.thumb.jpg.6a1b3efc291ad3993d5069018fd96a37.jpgx4.thumb.jpg.4ada12682b5df2202597f2656da510ca.jpg

Just now, KCOComics said:

It gets tough with these 9.2+ books,  because it really comes down to very minor and easily missed defects.

I wouldn't be shocked if it got a 9.8, but I also wouldnt be shocked at a 9.4.

Also - I had this book when I was a kid. I remember it well. After about 3 minutes of owning it, it was far from a 9.8,  but it was a well read,  well loved copy I remember reading with my brother. 

The question is, why are you even interested in having this slabbed?  Does this particular copy have some special sentimental value? 

It looks like you can can EASILY get CGC 9.8's of the Magneto variant on ebay for $60, which is probably close to what you'd end up paying to send your copy to CGC for grading, only to wait 6 months and end up getting back a 9.2 graded slab?

I actually just had to wade through stacks of NM looking copies of this cover in my LCS's bargain basement last weekend, so it seems the only examples that have any value at all must be the slabbed 9+ CGC examples...  

Edited by StreetPreacher

2 hours ago, StreetPreacher said:

The question is, why are you even interested in having this slabbed?  Does this particular copy have some special sentimental value? 

It looks like you can can EASILY get CGC 9.8's of the Magneto variant on ebay for $60, which is probably close to what you'd end up paying to send your copy to CGC for grading, only to wait 6 months and end up getting back a 9.2 graded slab?

I actually just had to wade through stacks of NM looking copies of this cover in my LCS's bargain basement last weekend, so it seems the only examples that have any value at all must be the slabbed 9+ CGC examples...  

I think that's a fair question. Definitely some sentiment value, as I picked this copy off the new releases shelf 29 years ago. :) But, I'm mostly trying to hone my grading abilities here. I'm trying to find the crossroads of worth enough to slab meets good enough quality to slab (mostly for my PC. Less interested in trying to make $25 on a slabbed book). The three I posted were examples of mine that seemed to have the potential to meet those. I don't have a $5000 book in my collection from 30 years ago, but a few dozen in the $100-300 range. Naturally, the best ones seem to have a ding here or a scratch there. 

I appreciate the feedback.