• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Real First Superman Cover

15 posts in this topic

I believe the story is that the young Siegel and Shuster tried to sell Superman in !933 after they saw the Detective Dan comic. They produced a whole comic. When they couldn't sell it Shuster was frustrated and destroyed all the artwork except for the cover.

As far as who has the original for this cover, I don't know.

Is this for real ,does any one on these boards have this , or even seen it , would love to see the actual piece, not one that has been retouched. 918570-sup567.jpg

This piece was featured in an article in Comic Book Marketplace #36 by Bob Beerbohm.

I believe the story is that the young Siegel and Shuster tried to sell Superman in !933 after they saw the Detective Dan comic. They produced a whole comic. When they couldn't sell it Shuster was frustrated and destroyed all the artwork except for the cover.

As far as who has the original for this cover, I don't know.

If you read Gerard Jones' Men of Tomorrow (and you should if you haven't), there is some serious doubt regarding the 1933 date. It's more likely 35 or 36 if I remember right.

actually it says right on the drawing signed by shuster[1933] lower left hand side..take a look.

It might well do, but the inference from the book was that with regards to trying to sell Superman to DC, he backdated the story. Most of the available evidence puts the episode a couple of years later. I'll try and dig the book out tonight, find the section and post more fully. Unless anyone else remembers?

Yes ask Beerbohm. He's on the boards from time to time

According to him the original date says 1928 not 1933.

Joe changed the date during the 1975 SD con.

They pre-dated the art (with 1928) to avoid certain legal problems with Doc Savage which came out in 33. The true date of the artwork is 1933.