• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you insure your expensive packages?
2 2

3 posts in this topic

It seems every courier (Canada Post/USPS, UPS, FedEX) only insure packages up to ~$2000 max value. I have multiple packages I want to send valued at much more than that so I was curious how people properly insure their submissions to CGC?

23 hours ago, milk_man said:

It seems every courier (Canada Post/USPS, UPS, FedEX) only insure packages up to ~$2000 max value. I have multiple packages I want to send valued at much more than that so I was curious how people properly insure their submissions to CGC?

It is also important to research how and if people are successful at filing insurance claims with the method you select. Most carriers will be happy to take your money for insurance but if it is impossible to succeed in filing a claim it may not be worth buying it.

Are you looking at insuring raw books or slabs? I wouldn't bother insuring raw books because you will be unable to prove the fair market value due to uncertain grades. I know first hand there is a higher chance for getting a claim on a slabbed book with USPS for a damage claim than a lost package claim.

There are plenty of posts on here of people who were successful or unsuccessful at filing insurance claims.

What kind of packages are you asking about?

6 minutes ago, PickleRick1216 said:

It is also important to research how and if people are successful at filing insurance claims with the method you select. Most carriers will be happy to take your money for insurance but if it is impossible to succeed in filing a claim it may not be worth buying it.

Are you looking at insuring raw books or slabs? I wouldn't bother insuring raw books because you will be unable to prove the fair market value due to uncertain grades. I know first hand there is a higher chance for getting a claim on a slabbed book with USPS for a damage claim than a lost package claim.

There are plenty of posts on here of people who were successful or unsuccessful at filing insurance claims.

What kind of packages are you asking about?

I'm looking to send a couple dozen slabs to get reholdered. Im not too worried about a slab showing up chipped as I can afford to absorb the cost of replacement but a package getting lost or a $1000 book getting crumpled would be catastrophic.