• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spirou 1071 - First Smurfs 1958 - Manufacturing defect ?

11 posts in this topic

Hello, curious to get your opinion: have you ever seen this kind of defect? The front cover has all these weird bubbles (as well as back cover, can't say for interior pages since I don't have it yet in hands) 

Do you think it's a manufacturing defect or something else? The following issue from the same original owner doesn't present these bubbles...

image.thumb.png.691a703a85b677741fd731e532e630fc.png

20200817_191636.jpg

Edited by Frederic9494

It might be a manufacturing defect or not. If not then it's the result of a plastic bag was stuck to the comic and when pulled off it created that defect. If it is manufacturing, then it's a hickey. You also have foxing though. This one is very tough to grade. If its an offset printing hickey then 7.0, but if that is not manufacturing defect then 4.0.

Edited by William-James88

3 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

It might be a manufacturing defect or not. If not then it's the result of a plastic bag was stuck to the comic and when pulled off it created that defect. If it is manufacturing, then it's a hickey. You also have foxing though. This one is very tough to grade. If its an offset printing hickey then 7.0, but if that is not manufacturing defect then 4.0.

I doubt it's plastic bag... doesn't exist back there... but I do agree that it's probably in the 7.0 range,

7 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Neither of my copies exhibit that. 

IMG_9622.jpeg

I know... out of about 15 copies of Spirou 1071 I have owned this is the first one that has this kind of defect.

Edited by Frederic9494

1 hour ago, Drunken Android said:

I've seen it before. I believe it's a printing defect. 

I've seen it before as well but I was leaning more toward a possible moisture sweat.  Like is it possible to go to moisture dots without going to full grown mold?