• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #340
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Just picked this up locally.  Most significant flaw I can see is the colour breaking of the tiny bend on the back cover corner...  And spine tick near the top left price box, and possibly another tick near the bottom left logo box?  I'll throw up some scans if the pics aren't good enough ;)  TIA!  Figure noboday can really get enough of this cover, next on my radar is ASM #316 ;)

hulk_kijiji8.png

hulk_kijiji7.png

hulk_kijiji6.png

hulk_kijiji4.png

hulk_kijiji3.png

hulk_kijiji2.png

hulk_kijiji1.png

hulk_kijiji.png

Mostly bought it to read so not sure I'm even considering a slab, but just don't want to lose out if I'm ever forced to unload it ;)

hulk_kijiji9.png

Edited by StreetPreacher

2 hours ago, StreetPreacher said:

Just picked this up locally.  Most significant flaw I can see is the colour breaking of the tiny bend on the back cover corner...  And spine tick near the top left price box, and possibly another tick near the bottom left logo box?  I'll throw up some scans if the pics aren't good enough ;)  TIA!  Figure noboday can really get enough of this cover, next on my radar is ASM #316 ;)

hulk_kijiji2.png

It looks like there is something going on with this right-hand edge. My guess is 7.5.

Yeah, looks like it does have a small dent, or are you referring to the darker colouring of the visible page edges?  In the picture of the same area on the back cover you can see that the corner is a bit soft and 'frayed?' 'ticked?" "also folded'?, however the colour of page edges seems fairly uniform along the entire base...  But at a 7.5 I think we can both walk away withought worrying either of us go 'screwed'. :)  Thanks pros!

I'll try and take some scans when I get a chance and see if they reveal exactly what's going on with that corner.

And thanks again guys, when I noticed that 'they' had COMPLETELY altered the colouring on the Digital version of this book I just HAD to get my hands on an original....

Edited by StreetPreacher

And what's the consensus on unverified 'autographs' anyway?  I actually passed on this other copy (that might be in even better condition) for the same price because it HAD been signed...  Chances are that the signature is authentic, but CGC won't care, and I didn't really want to buy another persons souvenir for my personal collection lol.  I mean, if you wanted to forge an autograph on this book, I assume you'd go with Todd McFarlane instead of Peter David :) haha

At least the seller wasn't charging a premium, but does anyone even consider purchasing raw 'autographed' books?  Do COAs make any difference to you?  Should I be asking these questions in a different thread that probably already exists? :)

hulk_340_signed.jpg

Edited by StreetPreacher
grammar, punctuation

At least the seller wasn't charging a premium, but does anyone even consider purchasing raw 'autographed' books? 

NO...often devalues the book unless it's a book you never plan to sell and want to enjoy it for what it is. You can submit to "VOLDY" to verify but not worth it imo.

Do COAs make any difference to you?  Should I be asking these questions in a different thread that probably already exists? :)

COA's are only as good as the company behind it but the certificate alone will not get you a yellow label from CGC

Edited by Funnybooks

2 hours ago, Funnybooks said:

NO...often devalues the book unless it's a book you never plan to sell and want to enjoy it for what it is. You can submit to "VOLDY" to verify but not worth it imo.

COA's are only as good as the company behind it but the certificate alone will not get you a yellow label from CGC

Those were my thoughts exactly.  I've always felt that autographs are essentially meaningless unless it's a souvenir from personally meeting the person yourself... Or if the autograph is from an officially sanctioned CGC SS event, and done strictly for financial reasons :) 

I wonder if there's already a poll, but given the choice between 2 raw books in otherwise identical condition, what percentage of people would prefer the book with an 'autograph'?

If anyone cares, the story behind this particular issue is that it was acquired by a small comic store when one of their old well respected customers finally decided to unload his collection, and he claimed to have had this signed by Peter at some convention, and the comic store said they trusted this guy...  Oh and the collection also included a McFarlane autographed ASM #316, supposedly signed at some other convention...  

It's actually kind of funny, this book looked so nice that I would have jumped on it, if it just didn't have the stupid signature on the cover! lol

Edited by StreetPreacher

It's actually kind of funny, this book looked so nice that I would have jumped on it, if it just didn't have the stupid signature on the cover! lol

and therein lies the issue with a signature...limits the pool of potential buyers