• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

passing on a lot of nice books lately??

35 posts in this topic

since I don't feel like doing an extensive investigation into the history of every book I buy.

Sad to say, the only time I'm willing to spend more than $1k on a book now is if I'm comfortable with the chain of ownership of a book.

I almost exclusively deal in the GA market.

In the month of August I bought 8 books and sold 3. My buying discipline is based on my ability to sell books.

I was a bit disappointed in my last series of E-bay auctions. I was less concerned about the sales then I was about the lack of counter offers (I did have a couple of low bids). It felt as if some buyers have dropped out of the market.

I chalked up the lack of sales to the amount of money spent in the Heritage August auctions and the last chance to spend time with the kids before the Summer ends. I also priced the books a touch on the high side. In any case, I didn't make the sales so my purchases in the immediate future will be more limited to the keys that I really wish to obtain.

Perhaps the gas price is taking it's toll, or maybe the higher rates have caused the RE market to stall. Maybe the flat equity prices is hurting confidence a bit?

In any case I am a bit more selective on my purchases. I will stay in that mode until I see some of my inventory moving more easily.

Given the recent situation in NO, I am putting much of my buying on hold for the next 4-6 weeks. hi.gif

Comic collecting is for those with a disposible income. I think I'll wait and see how things are a few weeks. confused-smiley-013.gif

In any case I am a bit more selective on my purchases.

thats pretty much what I had in mind with this thread... Im being very VERY selective lately. I still look at all the book sfor sale, but just dont se much worth chasing or BINing. But I hav eto admit, it was a lot more fun adding cool books to my collection!

yeah i'm passing, because a decent place in my neck of the woods is pushing (and beyond) seven figures and mrs. blob is only going to put up with the two of us and baby blob in a one bedroom apartment for so long.

not so sure the GA stuff is going to be around later any cheaper. sure, maybe when steve geppi drops dead. old timers selling their stuff off is likely going to be offset by so many of us going after these books because we've come to the conclusion that, unlike a sharp Iron Man 1, these books aren't particularly common. seriously, how many people here came to that conclusion oh, let's say, within the last 5-6 years?

not so sure the GA stuff is going to be around later any cheaper. sure, maybe when steve geppi drops dead. old timers selling their stuff off is likely going to be offset by so many of us going after these books because we've come to the conclusion that, unlike a sharp Iron Man 1, these books aren't particularly common. seriously, how many people here came to that conclusion oh, let's say, within the last 5-6 years?

hi.gif

And a lot of others around here have as well...most GA isn't high grade, so most GA hasn't seen the parabolic price increase that Bronze and Silver have over the last few years. 3-4 years ago I pretty much liquidated my entire BA Marvel collection and bought Gold, in addition to the many HG BA books that I bought with the intent of slabbing and selling. HG, raw BA isn't available like it used to be though, so that game is a bit tougher these days. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is it just me, or are many of you guys doing the same thing lately. That is, I see a lot of nice books I could upgrade with, but, i see no urgency to pick them up because I just have the feeling I'll always be able to get them --- AND --- somehow, I think Ill be able to get them later for less.

I have been buying more then I should, simply because the prices have been pretty good for what I am looking for. I just picked up X-Men 13 Pacific Coast, X-Men 14, X-Men 46 Mannarino, X-Men 59 Mannarino, X-Men 71 Don Rosa all in CGC 9.4 for $3750. That is better then GPA, especially when you take into account the Pedigree and Collection status.

But that should be it for a while, I am spending $150 a week on gas and I am entering my slow season for my business.

I don't own a car. We thought about renting one for a day this weekend, but the thought of gas shortages (yes, some stations have been running out up here) is likely going to mean we stay inside.

With that said, I think we'll be back under $2.50 a gallon in my neck of the woods by the end of October (so closer to $2 in lower tax areas). That's a figure where Opec is still making nice money and U.S. consumers aren't losing their minds. The Gulf Coast refinieries will be up and running by then and Opec is going to open up the floodgates. It's actually in Opec's interest, because at $3.50 a gallon we suddenly start thinking about things like hybrid cars, solar power, etc. and Opec wants none of that.

$1.50 gas has gone the way of the dinosaur unless they find a new Saudi Arabia in Siberia or somewhere. or the state and feds stop taxing gas. If nothig else, the cost to refine oil continues to climb. Wages go up, etc. if you think about it, adjusted for inflation, $1.50 gas is pretty darn cheap compared to, let's say, the late 80s. we've been spoiled.

If $5 a gallon quickens the end of dependence on oil, I say lets grin and bear it. Of course, the prices affect us all in different amounts, but a shock to the system is what we need. Maybe even W will see the light... and we wont have to hope the next President "gets" the long range prognosis. Sounds harsh, I know....

With that said, I think we'll be back under $2.50 a gallon in my neck of the woods by the end of October (so closer to $2 in lower tax areas). That's a figure where Opec is still making nice money and U.S. consumers aren't losing their minds. The Gulf Coast refinieries will be up and running by then and Opec is going to open up the floodgates. It's actually in Opec's interest, because at $3.50 a gallon we suddenly start thinking about things like hybrid cars, solar power, etc. and Opec wants none of that.

There is no shortage of crude - we are at ~$70/bbl. for WTI despite what is really a glut of crude (inventories have been building in anticipation of shortages later this year and early next as demand begins to outstrip supply). The problem is refining capacity - OPEC can export all the crude it wants (it's unlikely they have much slack anyway), but without the capacity to produce gasoline & distillates, it's not going to do us much good.

I just finished packing up another batch of books to consign to Doug at Pedigree Comics. I hope the Pollyannas aren't spending so much money on gas that they can't buy my books. hi.gif