• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Amazing Spider-Man 361, two copies. 600dpi scans.
2 2

14 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Funnybooks said:

Copy 1 max 9.6 due to soft lower staple

Copy 2 max 9.4 due to top right FC corner color breaking crease and soft lower staple

hard to tell with these pics at the lower staple area...do you have better angled pics for both books?

It’s a scan, so, not really, but you’re not really missing anything. You’re seeing what I’m seeing. If you click on the image you’ll get the full size version which you can right click open image in a new tab and then zoom in on and see everything. The sad part is one of these is unread.

8 hours ago, RhialtoTheMarvellous said:

It’s a scan, so, not really, but you’re not really missing anything. You’re seeing what I’m seeing. If you click on the image you’ll get the full size version which you can right click open image in a new tab and then zoom in on and see everything. The sad part is one of these is unread.

I can see it better on my desktop as opposed to my phone this morning...sorry about that

After blowing the scans up, there's no way either book is 9.8...bummer

In fact, I'll have to revise both my grades down and say neither is even a 9.6?

Copy 1 9.2/9.4

Copy 2 9.0/9.2

I feel the gcg graders are harder on modern books with similar defects to bronze and silver counterparts...am i wrong?

Edited by Funnybooks

2 hours ago, Funnybooks said:

I can see it better on my desktop as opposed to my phone this morning...sorry about that

After blowing the scans up, there's no way either book is 9.8...bummer

In fact, I'll have to revise both my grades down and say neither is even a 9.6?

Copy 1 9.2/9.4

Copy 2 9.0/9.2

I feel the gcg graders are harder on modern books with similar defects to bronze and silver counterparts...am i wrong?

What made you revise the grades down after zooming in?

While I don't know for sure, it appears because bronze age and earlier books have more inconsistencies from printing and distribution they tend to be given a bit more leeway for various issues that are common to a large majority of the books. That doesn't mean they will get a 9.8 if they have those, it just means that they might not get dinged quite as hard as a copper age or greater book would get hit for evident issues as the newer books are not known to have those problems as much. For instance square spined books of the 70s all tend to be very inconsistent in how they are bound and whether the cover is centered or skewed. Many of them evince oddities on the spine area due to that square binding, but a lot of times that is just a result of how they were made.

Edited by RhialtoTheMarvellous

2 minutes ago, RhialtoTheMarvellous said:

What made you revise the grades down after zooming in?

While I don't know for sure, it appears because bronze age and earlier books have more inconsistencies from printing and distribution they tend to be given a bit more leeway for various issues that are common to a large majority of the books. That doesn't mean they will get a 9.8 if they have those, it just means that they might not get dinged quite as hard as a copper age or greater book would get hit for evident issues as the newer books are not known to have those problems as much. For instance square spined books of the 70s all tend to be very inconsistent in how they are bound and whether the cover is centered or skewed. Many of them evince oddities on the spine area due to that square binding, but a lot of times that is just a result of how they were made.

I was on my phone last night and I could not zoom in on the spine like I was able to this morning on my desktop.

Copy1: That lower staple appeared to have a larger defect than I thought on initial inspection. Also, I did not see the couple of lower spine, spine ticks that appear to break color.

Copy2: That lower staple appeared to have a larger defect than I thought on initial inspection. Also, the top right FC corner defect greater than I thought. A couple of spine ticks along the mid-spine area ( between staples ) also more clearly evident.

Yeah, kinda sad. They traveled all this way with me from the beginning, one of them unread, and there is nothing to do for them. Meh, whatever, they are still nice copies overall. Although I am kinda pissed about that top right corner. Not even sure how that happened. The damned things have been in bags forever. By contrast my X-Men 266 was read at least once and got a 9.8.

3 minutes ago, RhialtoTheMarvellous said:

Yeah, kinda sad. They traveled all this way with me from the beginning, one of them unread, and there is nothing to do for them. Meh, whatever, they are still nice copies overall. Although I am kinda pissed about that top right corner. Not even sure how that happened. The damned things have been in bags forever. By contrast my X-Men 266 was read at least once and got a 9.8.

I feel your pain. I submitted 3 of these copies a year ago and was very confident all 3 would grade at 9.8. They were like identical triplets

I received a 9.8 on 2 of them and a 9.6 on the third. I'm the original owner and they were purchased off the shelf at the same time. 

I sold the 9.6 and still have the 9.8's

1 minute ago, Funnybooks said:

I feel your pain. I submitted 3 of these copies a year ago and was very confident all 3 would grade at 9.8. They were like identical triplets

I received a 9.8 on 2 of them and a 9.6 on the third. I'm the original owner and they were purchased off the shelf at the same time. 

I sold the 9.6 and still have the 9.8's

Yeah, I'm thinking I will sell the 9.4 Killing Joke I have. That was another one where I had two copies.

487kdrT.jpg?1