• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Boyega PO'd He Wasn't The Star of Star Wars

110 posts in this topic

JB is probably a self-involved crybaby, but if there's one good scene or bit of dialogue in E7-9, it was this:

FINN: I'm just here to get Rey.

E8 & 9 threw that dramatic promise away. 

On 8/27/2022 at 7:44 AM, ThothAmon said:

In his defense with the large role he played in episode 7 he probably believed that he was going to be the Han Solo of episode 7-9. Later he realized he was actually the Jar Jar and bitterness seems to have set in. 

?

I always assumed Poe was set up to be the Han Solo of the trilogy - and that seemed validated when he was reprimanded for insubordination by Adm. Holdo in TLJ.

Granted - there's no perfect parallel between the 7-9 and 10-12, because the latter trilogy had more "main" characters. You go from: Luke/Leia/Han to Rey/Kylo/Poe/Finn/Rose.

On 8/27/2022 at 8:32 AM, Gatsby77 said:
On 8/27/2022 at 7:44 AM, ThothAmon said:

In his defense with the large role he played in episode 7 he probably believed that he was going to be the Han Solo of episode 7-9. Later he realized he was actually the Jar Jar and bitterness seems to have set in. 

?

I always assumed Poe was set up to be the Han Solo of the trilogy - and that seemed validated when he was reprimanded for insubordination by Adm. Holdo in TLJ.

Granted - there's no perfect parallel between the 7-9 and 10-12, because the latter trilogy had more "main" characters. You go from: Luke/Leia/Han to Rey/Kylo/Poe/Finn/Rose.

Disney blinked when it determined there was a portion of the Star Wars fandom not big on minority lead actors in 'their Star Wars'. I don't blame him for not wanting to be part of it after more than one actor/actress has experienced this treatment. It had nothing to do with him thinking more highly of his acting capabilities. It was fandom raising its ugly ways yet again with themes like this.

On 8/27/2022 at 5:32 AM, Gatsby77 said:

...Granted - there's no perfect parallel between the 7-9 and 10-12, because the latter trilogy had more "main" characters. You go from: Luke/Leia/Han to Rey/Kylo/Poe/Finn/Rose.

I look at like going from: 

Luke/Leia/Han to Rey/Kylo.

hm

Edited by jcjames

On 8/27/2022 at 10:27 AM, Bosco685 said:

Disney blinked when it determined there was a portion of the Star Wars fandom not big on minority lead actors in 'their Star Wars'. I don't blame him for not wanting to be part of it after more than one actor/actress has experienced this treatment. It had nothing to do with him thinking more highly of his acting capabilities. It was fandom raising its ugly ways yet again with themes like this.

To some degree that might be true, but I also saw many Star Wars fans who actively wanted Finn to be the main character.  In the initial trailer for TFA, he was positioned to be a major if, not possibly the co-lead, and very few objected. People seemed genuinely excited about his character and possible arc in the upcoming trilogy.  They were very upset when he became the joke character in TLJ, it was only after that film that the issues with Finn exploded.

Personally, I wonder how much of it had to do with trying to court the Chinese audience. Remember, this is the same company that shrank his characters presence on the Chinese poster. Is it that far a leap to think that Disney may have changed the character and his arc in a attempt to make the movie more acceptable to that market?

On 9/9/2020 at 6:51 PM, bentbryan said:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls027631145/

Here’s screen time per movie per character.  For a character that is side-lined he’s in there a lot.  Saying he was over-marketed seems like a stretch imo.  

This.

Hard to argue he's not a main character when he got the 2nd-most screen-time in TFA and the 3rd-most screen-time in the second and third films.

And got more screen-time in every film than Kylo Ren.

Given that, the *only* legitimate gripes he can have are either:

1) Poe got one more minute of screen-time than him in The Rise of Skywalker (boo hoo!); or

2) His story was largely relegated to side quests in the second & third movies.

Yes - the weird planet side quest in The Last Jedi wasn't a main part of the plot - but honestly the only thing I was truly disappointed in re. his story was how quickly the Finn/Captain Phasma battle was completed (she got <2 minutes of screen time in that film).