• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drummy's Key Party

78 posts in this topic

At the risk of sounding narcissistic, I thought I'd start a thread on my current collecting priority - all the major (and some minor) Marvel Silver Age keys introducing the heroes of the Marvel universe in the early '60's. I know many people have pulled this off, but for me it represents the "Final Frontier" of my comic collection now that OA has reeled in the rest of my bank account. I'll also grab a few villains (FF 4, 5, 48) and others (FF 13, 45).

As I add to this collection, which I've just begun, I'll bump this thread from time to time with images of the books I buy. Obviously several months might go by before adding a book, particularly a high-money book, but at least people can see how long something like this might take to put together. I hope you'll find the details of my particular hunt mildly amusing and enjoy seeing some mid-grade keys.

So here's my criteria: 1. CGC unrestored; if I buy it raw, I'll have it graded before posting with hopes for a thorough restoration check. 2. Grades from 4.5 to 9.4 with oww or white pages; mostly in the 6.0 range. 3. Well-centered. 4. Good eye appeal for the grade assigned. 5. No date stamps/writing on the cover.

And here's the list, with probable additions in parentheses: AF 15, (ASM 1), Avengers 1, 4, 9, 57, Daredevil 1, Fantastic Four 1 (2, 3,) 4, 5, 13, 45, 48, 52, Incredible Hulk 1, Journey Into Mystery 83, Marvel Super-Heroes 12, Sgt. Fury 1, Strange Tales 101, 110, 135, Tales of Suspense 39, 52, 57, Tales to Astonish 27, (35), 44, X-Men 1, 4.

Next up: the first of the semi-keys (saved recently from being sold when the reserve wasn't met on Ebay!)

Dan

Awesome Dan! I've been doing the EXACT samething but with Bronze Age keys and only for my own amusement. I've been dabbling in the late Silver Age too but had a really tough time defining my requirements. Your requirement list is perfect! Looking forward to seeing you complete this collection even though we will be competing for some of the same books. thumbsup2.gif

Great book, Bob! That's definitely on my list. It even fits my requirements!

Here's a second keeper from my own collection:

INCREDIBLE HULK #1 (May 1962)

Hulk1.jpg

First appearance of the Hulk, and one of my favorite major key covers!

Working on two other keys even as I write this...Thanks,

Dan

1. STRANGE TALES 101

ST101.jpg

Not a very big key, but I like the "seeding" of the Marvel titles with superheroes from this era. Major change to the title, anyway. Thanks,

Dan

This book seems to be the one book that almost always has bad cut along the right side, appearing normal on the top but cutting into the book as it goes down, leaving the bottom thinner than the top. Christo_pull_hair.gif

I know, I know: (1) I'm not Drummy, and (2) page quality is not white. But, hey, I thought this was supposed to be a party!

First appearance, Master of the Mystic Arts:

704275003.jpg

Off white to white pages,.....and a VF+ 8.5,.... takeit.gif

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Way back before Greggy invented the internet (or was it Al Gore? confused-smiley-013.gif), Strange Tales 110 & Journey into Mystery 83 were two of the toughest keys to find in high grade.

So true. One of the biggest surprises for me of the CGC era has been how many 9.4 copies of JIM 83 have been offered for sale. Of the keys considered extremely tough to find in true NM back in the old days, JIM 83 and TOS 39 have probably been the biggest surprises in terms of number of copies being made available. In contrast, except for Doug's ST 110, I can only remember one other 9.4 or better copy being offered up in recent years.

FANTASTIC FOUR #13 (April 1963)

OK, so this book defies most of my original requirements. Page quality is cream to off-white, it's below the 4.5 - 9.4 range, and has writing on the cover. That said, I'm delighted to own a signed Stan Lee (file copy? who knows for sure) mini-key. I had wanted this book off Heritage originally, but missed out. Now it's in my collection for keeps.

Perhaps the main reason I wanted this particular Stan Lee book is that the Watcher epitomizes the goofy grandiosity of the early Marvel Silver Age. On the one hand, the concept of the Watcher as a member of an ancient race of "recorders" sworn not to interfere with other cultures is intriguing; on the other hand, he's a badly dressed baldy who lives on the moon and watches humanity while eating doughnuts.

On the whole, however, the Watcher symbolizes Stan and the Marvel "bullpen" more than any other character I can think of, and I'm glad to have this particular copy for my collection. Excelsior!

Coming up next: a very big key!

FF13.jpg