• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman # 1 - OA ?

17 posts in this topic

krazy. what is your take on it. it your post. iam all ears.

mine. is . i don,t think it a pre superman cover. because of a few things. # 1 i read something a long time ago on this. about the date being changed. i can,t recall where but. something to do with the lawsuit they had with dc.

to prove they had invented the superman concept years before 1938. # 2 i know siegle and shuster did fanzines together on a bunch of sci fi stuff. and if that cover had the guy with an s on his chest. i might be sold on the pre superman thing . and i don,t belive that story on shuster destroying all the pages to that story but keep the cover, he did more work on the pages then the cover. so why trash all of them and just keep the cover. ?

so while it a nice . it holds no weight to the cover of action # 1 which to me is the true origin of superman. but hey what do i know. larry ;] confused-smiley-013.gif

krazy. what is your take on it. it your post. iam all ears.

mine. is . i don,t think it a pre superman cover. because of a few things. # 1 i read something a long time ago on this. about the date being changed. i can,t recall where but. something to do with the lawsuit they had with dc.

to prove they had invented the superman concept years before 1938. # 2 i know siegle and shuster did fanzines together on a bunch of sci fi stuff. and if that cover had the guy with an s on his chest. i might be sold on the pre superman thing . and i don,t belive that story on shuster destroying all the pages to that story but keep the cover, he did more work on the pages then the cover. so why trash all of them and just keep the cover. ?

so while it a nice . it holds no weight to the cover of action # 1 which to me is the true origin of superman. but hey what do i know. larry ;] confused-smiley-013.gif

I cant fugure out from the thread whether they are referring to art or a comic.

--------

If its art that cannot be traced to a published comic it is just another one of those 'protype Covers' ,...imho, to create supply and fleece the meek (vis-a-vis Sub # 1 Everett prototypre Cover) [unless strong provenance exists]

If its art that can verifiably be traced to a published comic it is historically relevant,

If its merely a comic,...well,...who cares ?

Never seen, nor heard of the piece before.

KK

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...rt=all&vc=1

This was being discussed in the golden age forum,..is this OA or a b/w comic ?

918570-sup567.jpg

Yes its oa. It was found shoved in the back of an old desk of M.C Gaines. It was torn into 4 pieces.

It was art done for the Humor Publishing Company in the early 30's. They reneged on the deal.

Joe ripped it up. Jerry saved it.

I didn't think Bob was that short... tongue.gif

Anyways,..back to issue.

So,...this guy Beerbottom owns this piece and its OA ? Does he have any provenance documentation with the item ? Do you know how he obtained it ? It looks interesting,..if it is OA.

Comic Book Marketplace #36 has most of the details.

Joe Shuster confirmed the piece in 1975 when he changed the date on the piece from 1928 to 1933.

I'll pull out that issue later tonight to give you more details if you want.

Comic Book Marketplace #36 has most of the details.

Joe Shuster confirmed the piece in 1975 when he changed the date on the piece from 1928 to 1933.

I'll pull out that issue later tonight to give you more details if you want.

Rip,

That would be exceelent,..and appreciated.

KK

This takes place around 1970. Bill Gaines went to his mothers place and they finally got around to cleaning out his fathers desk. His father was M.C Gaines. He died in a boating accident years before. It was a big oak desk. In the top right drawer were four pieces to this cover that was scrunched up way in the back. Gaines told Russ Cochran the story and sold those pieces to him.

Beerbohm gave Russ a few hundred dollars in trade. Russ is known for having all kinds of amazing GA pieces.

Then he when to a lithography printer to see what he could do to restore the piece and make prints.

He made 500 prints and sold them for around a dollar ( later bumping it up to 3).

Beerbohn met Joe Shuster at the San Diego con.

Joe asked, "Where did you get this?" I haven't seen it in years."

Joe continued "This was the very first Superman comic book sold to the Humor publishing company"

As it turned out Humor reneged on the deal. Joe got so depressed he ripped his artwork up and tossed it into the fireplace. Somehow Jerry saved the piece. How it got into that desk is still a mystery.

This takes place around 1970. Bill Gaines went to his mothers place and they finally got around to cleaning out his fathers desk. His father was M.C Gaines. He died in a boating accident years before. It was a big oak desk. In the top right drawer were four pieces to this cover that was scrunched up way in the back. Gaines told Russ Cochran the story and sold those pieces to him.

Beerbohm gave Russ a few hundred dollars in trade. Russ is known for having all kinds of amazing GA pieces.

Then he when to a lithography printer to see what he could do to restore the piece and make prints.

He made 500 prints and sold them for around a dollar ( later bumping it up to 3).

Beerbohn met Joe Shuster at the San Diego con.

Joe asked, "Where did you get this?" I haven't seen it in years."

Joe continued "This was the very first Superman comic book sold to the Humor publishing company"

As it turned out Humor reneged on the deal. Joe got so depressed he ripped his artwork up and tossed it into the fireplace. Somehow Jerry saved the piece. How it got into that desk is still a mystery.

Alotta oral history. I am very cynical of oral history. Wish there was some written account by Schuster. frown.gif

Thanks for posting the story though.