• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #301
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Missed it by 'that' much!

What's the consensus on this copy?  Is the discolouration along the bottom what's referred to as 'foxing'?  I was originally concerned that there might have been some water damage, but I've noticed that many copies of this book seem to exhibit similar discolouration, and the interior pages don't have any damage, so it's only the cover that seems affected?

Anyway, it looks like this issue is really only valuable in high grade because it's so rare to find a pristine 9.8 due to the white cover being so easily soiled.  So this definitely isn't an investment book, just wondering if I got a fair deal on it ;) 

ASM_301_Cover.JPG

ASM_301_Back.JPG

Edited by StreetPreacher

Thanks guys.  And if it matters, the triangular colour breaking 'scar' at the top edge of the back cover isn't a complete tear, as the inside of the cover still appears intact.  I guess the bottom discolouration could be 'dust shadows', but while shopping around I noticed a lot of copies with the same 'issue', so I assume it's common to see on this book., which is probably why the 9.8s are so valuable :)..  I just picked up the book myself so not exactly sure how it's been stored over the years.

And I actually did grab this copy for $45 CAD ($35 USD), so sounds like we both got a fair deal, and I'm 1 issue closer to finishing my McFarlane run!

Edited by StreetPreacher

Are you guys available for live consultations? :) 

Just wondering if people would consider this issue to be in better condition?  I almost bought this copy instead for nearly the same price.  This copy has a nicer looking back cover, but the discolouration across the bottom of the front cover looked worse, and since I figured I'd be spending more time looking at the front cover...  Thanks again guys, I need to improve my skills for those times when my LCS has multiple copies of the same book, and I'm standing there like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person trying to decide which one is in the best condition lol.

asm301A_front.jpg

asm301A_back.jpg

And wow, I didn't realize how sensitive this forum is!  It looks like the word I picked was changed to "Insufficiently thoughtful person"! lol   Since when did I D I O T become considered a profanity?  And in context I was calling myself an 'insufficiently thoughtful person'...  Guess you gott watch your P's & Q's around these parts!  

Edited by StreetPreacher

Guess you're having the same reaction, the other book just looked dirty lol.  Thanks, sounds like I made the right choice!  Next on the radar is to find a decent deal on #316, but every reasonably priced copy seems to be in the States with delivery costs nearly equal to the price of the book itself!  Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and find somebody getting rid of some dusty old asm 300s they found in the attic lol.

And do people actually prefer the #300 cover art?  If this had the city-scape background instead of a green circle  then I think #301's cover would EASILY beat #300, with its boring monochromatic costume, pretentious "Special 25th Anniversary Issue" branding, and uninspired repeating 300 background design :)   

At least this is what I tell myself when I realize I'm too poor to pay $400 for the CGC 7.0 copy on display at the LCS ;)

Happy Hunting!

Edited by StreetPreacher

3 minutes ago, RhialtoTheMarvellous said:

That's too much for a 7.0 anyway. You can get a 9.4 for $750 on eBay.

Sorry, that's $400 CAD, so more like $300 USD for a CGC 7.0, white pages I assume.  I keep forgetting to convert to USD when talking money on the forum...

And I haven't actually done any research yet, but do ASM #300 & #301 both use the same basic pencil art?  And they just use different colouring for the costume and background?  Or did Todd actually draw the same cover twice?  Or is Spidey actually in a different pose, and I'm just not very perceptive ? :)

Edited by StreetPreacher