• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worth Buying Signed Comics?
1 1

51 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

If you are new to the hobby, there is a very good chance that your taste will be very different in a year or two. There is also a very good chance these books will be worth less than they are today, so my advice is to wait.

My first week on ebay, I spent $2,000 buying stuff I was sure I would never get another shot at, and I overpaid for much of it. 

Really good advice, thank you! I haven't thought of it from that perspective 

1 hour ago, Complex306 said:

Some really good advice in this thread from people far more seasoned than I am. Overall I think you're going about it the right way. Be cautious, do your research, ask questions. Pick up some (relatively) inexpensive stuff and send some books in for grading. These will all be good learning experiences and will help shape how you approach the hobby moving forward. You're going to make some mistakes on purchases and sales and that's ok, experience is the best teacher. Just don't go overboard while suckling at the teat of FOMO and you should be fine. And a belated welcome to the hobby btw!

Thank you! I figured it was best to submit a post in the forum and get advice from those more experienced and smarter than myself on the subject, lots of good advice in here for sure! Thanks for your input and thanks for the warm welcome!

9 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Of course, that seperate CBCS signature system comes at an extra cost. So you're already paying extra online for the signature/remark and now you have to pay extra again to have it authenticated, and it aint cheap. I don't know if it will cost extra on top of that for authenticating a remark (since it's usually 30$ per signature). And that's before even knowing if these will end up high grade or not. So you could end up paying an extra $100 for a comic worth $50 after all.

Of course, grabbing some for your personal collection and appreciating them as they are is the best way to go since you won`t be spending more than you have to. I myself would buy some for my personal collection if I didn't have that hefty shipping price to pay due to living in Canada.

I too look forward to another convention to add some witnessed remarks to my collection. All the best!

Yeah very good points, I just used CGC and that was fairly expensive for two comics, going through yet another system and having to have the sig authenticated would surely be more money on top. Thanks for the comment! 

Lots to think about after so many great comments, thanks again everyone! I will probably grab one for my personal collection and hold off on attempting to get it graded for awhile, my local comic shop has plastic slabs I can purchase so maybe I will do that and just throw the comic in there to hold condition and such. 

21 minutes ago, Nightwingsbutler said:

Thank you so much for all of this info, I really appreciate you taking the time to write it out! I was reading up on the different CGC labels and such, and I have certainly been taking into account the CGC costs and such. I was not fully aware of being able to request the blue label instead of green, thank you for sharing that with me

Someone else can confirm, but I could have sworn if you have an unauthenticated signature and ask for a blue label, it's automatically a 0.5 or something.  That's why pretty much everyone goes green qualified label on such books.

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

Someone else can confirm, but I could have sworn if you have an unauthenticated signature and ask for a blue label, it's automatically a 0.5 or something.  That's why pretty much everyone goes green qualified label on such books.

Its not. It's just graded as if there was scribbling on the cover, like this 7.5 below signed by Neal Adam's and not authenticated which, in all honesty, doesn't look all that far from a 7.5 anyways.

image.thumb.png.2684c46414b83ffc662994e49f600542.png

Edited by William-James88

1 hour ago, Nightwingsbutler said:

What are some of y'alls favorite spots to purchase comics (raw and graded) online? I look at eBay, metropolis comics and Certified Comic Shop I believe it's called. 

For golden age or silver age lots, I go to heritage auctions.

For silver age and golden age slabbed books, I go to comiclink.

For everything else there's Mycomicshop.com

22 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

For golden age or silver age lots, I go to heritage auctions.

For silver age and golden age slabbed books, I go to comiclink.

For everything else there's Mycomicshop.com

Thanks! Hope everyone knows how much I appreciate their responses, always open to learning as much as I can about the comic world. My local shop has a lot of golden age comics, they just got in the first ever appearance of Black Adam but I know it's more than likely out of my price range for now haha, I'll be sure to check out what you listed

26 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Its not. It's just graded as if there was scribbling on the cover, like this 7.5 below signed by Neal Adam's and not authenticated which, in all honesty, doesn't look all that far from a 7.5 anyways.

image.thumb.png.2684c46414b83ffc662994e49f600542.png

Is this yours? Really cool, I love slabbed comics, look so sleek, my Dad surprised me with a CGC 9.8 batman #89 as an early birthday gift last week, couldn't believe it, I was hyped

21 minutes ago, Nightwingsbutler said:

Is this yours? Really cool, I love slabbed comics, look so sleek, my Dad surprised me with a CGC 9.8 batman #89 as an early birthday gift last week, couldn't believe it, I was hyped

That's freaken AWESOME. and no it's not mine, just the first thing that popped up in a Google search.

24 minutes ago, Nightwingsbutler said:

Thanks! Hope everyone knows how much I appreciate their responses, always open to learning as much as I can about the comic world. My local shop has a lot of golden age comics, they just got in the first ever appearance of Black Adam but I know it's more than likely out of my price range for now haha, I'll be sure to check out what you listed

That's amazing! I collect exactly those type of golden age books, from the Fawcett company. That Marvel Family number 1 is out of my price range too though.

46 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

That's freaken AWESOME. and no it's not mine, just the first thing that popped up in a Google search.

Yeah I couldn't believe it, he knows I've been getting into comics and randomly handed me a gift and I opened it and it was the comic, he said "it was rated a 9.8 and had someones first appearance (Punchline) so I thought you'd like it" I was so excited, it was amazing

44 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

That's amazing! I collect exactly those type of golden age books, from the Fawcett company. That Marvel Family number 1 is out of my price range too though.

I've looked at the same comic before, I['m all about grabbing comics with the first appearances of my favorite heroes/villains but that one is one of the many out of my current price range haha!

3 hours ago, Nightwingsbutler said:

What are some of y'alls favorite spots to purchase comics (raw and graded) online? I look at eBay, metropolis comics and Certified Comic Shop I believe it's called. 

For new books I tend to prefer Comic Mint and Mutant Beaver Comics (Canada). I also spend an inordinate amount of money on Tyler Kirkham's store as I love Venom and he does some really nice remarked/ signed/ graded editions every month. For anything older I go Ebay and try my luck picking up auctions that end below FMV. My pockets aren't deep enough for Heritage lol.

3 minutes ago, Complex306 said:

For new books I tend to prefer Comic Mint and Mutant Beaver Comics (Canada). I also spend an inordinate amount of money on Tyler Kirkham's store as I love Venom and he does some really nice remarked/ signed/ graded editions every month. For anything older I go Ebay and try my luck picking up auctions that end below FMV. My pockets aren't deep enough for Heritage lol.

Heritage can be dirt cheap if you want it to be. I should know, I have almost no money, hence why Fawcetts are the only GA superhero comics I can afford :D

Here's some examples of me being cheap on heritage:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/captain-marvel-jr-28-fawcett-publications-1945-cgc-fn-55-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122001-11192.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/whiz-comics-103-fawcett-publications-1948-cgc-fn-vf-70-off-white-to-white-pages/a/121948-12000.s

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/detective-comics-group-of-18-dc-1961-68-condition-average-gd-vg-total-18-comic-books-/a/121935-11607.s

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/justice-league-of-america-10-15-group-dc-1962-condition-average-vg-total-6-comic-books-/a/121209-11351.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/fantastic-four-group-marvel-1964-70-total-6-comic-books-/a/121209-11254.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/superhero/captain-marvel-33-marvel-1974-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/121947-17383.s

https://comics.ha.com/itm/animation-art/production-cel/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-shredder-production-cel-murakami-wolf-swenson-1987-/a/121947-17280.s

3 minutes ago, Complex306 said:

I stand corrected lol. I always just assumed that was the "high end" destination. 

Wondering if I should feel insulted now. It's one thing when I talk about myself, but to hear it from someone else.... just messing.

Yeah, it's not just high end, they won't say no to more money.

You even get stuff like this:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/bronze-to-modern-age-miscellaneous-comics-long-box-group-various-publishers-1970s-2000s-condition-average-vg-fn/a/122026-19362.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

30 minutes ago, Complex306 said:

I swear eBay is the best