• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submitting Modern new releases. Press or no?

4 posts in this topic

I've only submitted Silver and Bronze Age books in the past where a press is a no brainer most of the time. 

Just recently started buying store exclusives (scorpion comics, Frankies, etc) and there's some I would like to submit. So my question is should I press every submission? Or will most of these on avarage grade 9.8? 

Thanks for any advice

52 minutes ago, adamldaniels said:

I've only submitted Silver and Bronze Age books in the past where a press is a no brainer most of the time. 

Just recently started buying store exclusives (scorpion comics, Frankies, etc) and there's some I would like to submit. So my question is should I press every submission? Or will most of these on avarage grade 9.8? 

Thanks for any advice

9.8 can't be the average if it's the highest grade attainable for most modern age books. Most of them on average grade 9.4-9.6. If you want to strengthen your chances of a 9.8, then yes get it pressed. Though there are times when even a press won't get you a 9.8. Your corners have to be perfect.

depends on a bunch of stuff, partially on your preferences.

1. Are you generally good at grading and recognizing defects that prevent a CGC 9.8?

2.  Do you get to actually choose the comics you are buying, or are they chosen for you/mailed to you?

3.  How important is it for you to get a CGC 9.8?

4.  Does the printer/distributor of these variants usually put stuff out in 9.8's (in many cases but not all, these limited variants are handled with more individual care by sellers and not likely to be placed on a shelf or handled by careless store staff or customers)?  If you look online and these variants seem to have plenty of CGC 9.8's that might be a clue.

5.  Do you have time or money preferences with extra cost and time for pressing in regard to CGC 9.8's?

6.  What are your ultimate goals?  Profitable sales, investment, cool collection, a mix?

If you consider (and in some cases research) the questions above, I'm confident you will make the right decision for your situation.

If money and time aren't an issue (especially if profit isn't the goal), save yourself the thinking and just press them all. There are plenty of good folks who just press all moderns no matter what.  And there are plenty of good folks who press more selectively, and get just as many 9.8's.  

Edited by revat

Thanks. That helps a lot.

Most of the moderns I've ordered are limited print runs. The distributor only gaurentees 9.2+, which seems to be the standard. But to answer your question I wouldn't say the 9.8 is for profit immediately but I would like for these to hold value.

Just figured I would get some opinions or experiences since I've never ordered a raw book, well modern new release anyway.  

Again, I appreciate all the input.