• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to remember a limited series - FOUND IT!
2 2

9 posts in this topic

I'm hoping someone can help me out, this has been bugging me lately. I'm trying to remember the name of a limited series, I think it was four issues but could have been six. It most likely would have been late 80s, or in the 90s I think? I feel like it might have been a Dark Horse series but I'm not 100% on that. The "gimmick" with this series is that you could read the issues in any order you chose, there was no real #1, #2, etc. It was up to the reader how you read the issues to get the full story. Anyone have any clue what I'm talking about? Sorry I don't have more to go on and my memory of it is so all over the place...

Edited by Jesse-Lee

18 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

I'm hoping someone can help me out, this has been bugging me lately. I'm trying to remember the name of a limited series, I think it was four issues but could have been six. It most likely would have been late 80s, or in the 90s I think? I feel like it might have been a Dark Horse series but I'm not 100% on that. The "gimmick" with this series is that you could read the issues in any order you chose, there was no real #1, #2, etc. It was up to the reader how you read the issues to get the full story. Anyone have any clue what I'm talking about? Sorry I don't have more to go on and my memory of it is so all over the place...

so not an anthology like "By Bizarre Hands"

Just picked that because it is Dark Horse in 1994 - three issues. Different authors adapted some of Joe Lansdale's stories to comics. First issue image below.

Edit - I doubt this since I re-read your post and it sounds like one full story and not separate stories. 

906543.jpg

Edited by telerites

Sounds like the Deathmate series by Valiant and Image.  There was a Prologue that of course you would read first.  Then there were 4 Issues only denoted by color: Deathmate Blue, DM Green, DM Yellow, DM Red.  You could read those 4 in any order, as they had no numbering.  Then you finished with DM Prologue.

1 minute ago, telerites said:

so not an anthology like "By Bizarre Hands"

Just picked that because it is Dark Horse in 1994 - three issues. Different authors adapted some of Joe Lansdale's stories to comics. First issue image below.

906543.jpg

Correct, not that, but thanks for the try! I feel like it started with an F maybe? Ha, my memories aren't helpful at all...

27 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

Sounds like the Deathmate series by Valiant and Image.  There was a Prologue that of course you would read first.  Then there were 4 Issues only denoted by color: Deathmate Blue, DM Green, DM Yellow, DM Red.  You could read those 4 in any order, as they had no numbering.  Then you finished with DM Prologue.

That must be it, but it just doesn't feel right in my head - I do remember the color thing though, but those covers just don't look right, I remember this series having solid or mostly solid color covers. But thanks for this, maybe I'm just meshing two or three things in my head!

Found it!! I was right on some things and wrong on some, but the Deathmate thing helped me on the trail of the different colors, thanks! (though I was wrong about the covers):

The series is "Exquisite Corpse" from Dark Horse in 1990. It was a 3 part series that could be read in any order. I never read it, but I remember wanting to and then forgetting about it. Here's an ad from the back of Frank Miller's "Give Me Liberty" (which is probably why I thought the colors were more pronounced on the book covers):

liberty.jpeg