• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tales of Suspense Pedigrees by Issue

41 posts in this topic

Here's my TOS report so far.

If you have any additions please PM (with serial number if possible).

Also, discussions are encouraged. I think it's interesting to note how many Boston copies there are, but I want to know where are the White Mountain copies and Curators. Obviously a few have been grade, but what about the rest?

922465-TalesofSuspensePedigrees.JPG

922465-TalesofSuspensePedigrees.JPG.c7ef3e14109046bb38d49c8860595e2a.JPG

Steve,

Here is the TOS section of my GR website. The #42 was resubbed, so there is only one issue. There is only one copy of #43 as far as I know..I don't know of an 8.0...if you know different......let me know! Thanks, and keep up the good work! thumbsup2.gif

grtosreport.jpg

PS...if you go to my website and click on the numbers in BLUE....you can see a large size scan of the actual book.

Hi Tim: Yes, as I discussed in another thread on resubs, it was originally a 9.4 resubbed and magically it became a 9.8.

Wow, grading really is subjective!

I could input alot more to Steve's attempt to catalog the pedigree's but I have lost track of alot of the PC books that have been resubbed numerous times.

The WP's are starting to go that route also. You should consider resubbing alot of those Flash's ( 139, 140, and 141.) If there isn't a 9.8 in that group I would really be shocked.

Sorry to get of topic!

Tom

Hi Tim: Yes, as I discussed in another thread on resubs, it was originally a 9.4 resubbed and magically it became a 9.8.

I could input alot more to Steve's attempt to catalog the pedigree's but I have lost track of alot of the PC books that have been resubbed numerous times.

The WP's are starting to go that route also. You should consider resubbing alot of those Flash's ( 139, 140, and 141.) If there isn't a 9.8 in that group I would really be shocked.

Sorry to get of topic!

Tom

No problem getting off topic on my thread. I'll continue.

I have noticed (and had discussions with other colllectors) that many SA pedigree books have perfect (or near perfect) spines but don't make the uber high grade because of slight bends around the corners or overhang. Obviously many of these books were never read (Pacific Coast and Curator come to mind) and therefore do not have the spine ticks that appear on many books that have been read (even if very carefully).

Therefore, pedigree books can benefit from pressing more than other books. To the best of my knowledge, spine tick marks can not be pressed out while corner bends are the easiest.

Thoughts? Agree or Disagree?

Steve: I agree 110% with that statement The Pedigree books in most cases are almost perfect structually with only slight imperfections. The PC books were stored in 6' stacks around the OO's house much like the Church books and some of the corners have the slightest of bends that don't break the color. These are the perfect examples for pressing to obtain the 9.4-9.8 grades. You're not going to do that with most books.

In fact I "gave" Doug a DD 10 PC CGC 9.0 that I believe is now a 9.4. It was a perfect example of the above.

With all that said, the books from PCC were awesome in their "natural state" with a larger percentage of HG books than any other SA Pedigree that can be documented.

Tom

Sorry to get of topic!

Tom

No problem getting off topic on my thread. I'll continue.

I have noticed (and had discussions with other colllectors) that many SA pedigree books have perfect (or near perfect) spines but don't make the uber high grade because of slight bends around the corners or overhang. Obviously many of these books were never read (Pacific Coast and Curator come to mind) and therefore do not have the spine ticks that appear on many books that have been read (even if very carefully).

Therefore, pedigree books can benefit from pressing more than other books. To the best of my knowledge, spine tick marks can not be pressed out while corner bends are the easiest.

Thoughts? Agree or Disagree?

Tom, thanks for the confirm.

Steve, regardless of whether an upgrade is because of pressing or just different grading by CGC, you might want to consider indicating that a book previously had a different grade, so as complete a history of each book will be known. I think you`ve done a monumental job pulling all of this info together.

Hi all.

There are 2 Bethlehem #39s. One is in 9.2 and the other which I own is in 9.4 (the first grade it was assigned - no upgrade on this one). I discovered there were 2 a few years ago when I first saw the 9.2 for sale and thought "it can't be - I own the Bethlehem!". I made some enquiries and found there were 2.

Thanks for the info Mark.

I owned the TOS 39 for a couple of days. I bought it from Phil Weiss after one of his auctions. The buyer didn't pay and I was the under bidder. I sold it to Harley and he sold it to someopne in England. I wonder who that was????????? This was 1995, I think? Yes there were two copies, I asked the same question when I bought it.